Lewis

Thinking about new additions

As I've not been living at home during term time for the last few years I've naturally let the flock decrease so we only have 9 girls at the moment and of course Gerald the drake!

My parents commented that the flock was getting a bit small so I take that to mean we need more chickens :wink: and as we mainly have pure breeds I'd like to get some hybrids so we have eggs through the winter.

I checked when I got my oldest remaining hybrid who's still laying and according to my blog they came from Cotswold Chickens in 2010!

I got two very young hybrids last Easter from a different supplier closer to home hoping for good layers but they didn't really thrive, the Black Star faded away and while we still have the Sussex Star she only lays a couple eggs a week and a friend who got some at the same time has the same experience, so we won't return there.

I quite fancy blue or dark brown eggs but had forgotten how great layers the White Stars are so they're definitely contenders for joining the flock! :D

I really like white stars. My last one was a fantastic layer. My new one hasn't got into the swing yet, but I'm sure she soon will. Columbines are beautiful girls, my one doesn't lay very often, but she is about 4. Hers are greeny blue. My hybbrid Marans was laying really dark brown eggs, but has given up since we moved. She's only young so I'm sure she'll lay again soon. I have a cream legbar cross, but she lays normal colour eggs. I don't mind, as she is my most consistent layer at the moment. Other than the bantams.

Do let us know what you decide :)

I volunteer for BHWT on rehoming days and sometimes on their stand at exhibitions so would happily get more ex-commercial girls but I usually end up taking the 'special' girls who need a bit more attention which wouldn't really be fair on my parents while I'm away.

We have an older Cream Legbar girl and a tiny Cream Legbar hen who was meant to be pure but must be a cross so we get some blue eggs !eggblue!

I volunteer for BHWT on rehoming days and sometimes on their stand at exhibitions so would happily get more ex-commercial girls but I usually end up taking the 'special' girls who need a bit more attention which wouldn't really be fair on my parents while I'm away.

We have an older Cream Legbar girl and a tiny Cream Legbar hen who was meant to be pure but must be a cross so we get some blue eggs !eggblue!

both of my CLBs have been small the first came from Wenlas the current one from a place in Warwickshire .personally I think they might be related as I think there must be a runt some were in their heritage.

Mixing young and stressed Hybrids into a Pedigree flock is not without high risk Iwestcott. Their immunisation viruses could be shed and infect the others, which is what happened to us years ago. Mixing the other way round, pedigrees to hybrids, I have never heard of problems. Worth mentioning because, with all the viruses hybrids are now carrying, you may suddenly find your flock becomes even smaller.

Thanks Beantree, the hybrid chicks were raised away from the flock as they were young so no issues here. I know lots of people who have introduced hybrids to pure breeds with no problems though.

Sunnyside aren't too far PL and I spoke to the owner a couple months back, may have to pay them a visit :D

Our local hybrid supplier says the White Stars are far and away his best layers Lewis, but he also says that they are far and away the most flighty :roll:

One neighbour has had columbines for the blue eggs - average layers; and another had a bluebelle - poor layer :( I know its all anecdotal about this really, you just have to go with what you like the look of, have fun choosing :D The egg gap with PBs does get a bit frustrating sometimes.

As far as I am aware White Stars are actually pure bred White Leghorns which have been bred for utility rather than to a show standard. So I suppose they should be classed as Pedigrees, rather than Hybrids? All the Leghorn family, even show strains, lay very well indeed. We have Brown Leghorn Bantams. They very rarely go broody and if they do are very easily broken. Ours lay very well for two years plus, basically until they have delivered their 600 white shelled eggs.

I use sunnyside poultry they are fantastic i have a columbine lays pale blue green egg 2 gold rangers 1 amber star 1 lavender 1 black rock all hybirds.they have all started laying within days of collecting. Had them at different times.they lay 6 out of 7 days even get double yolkers xxx

The White Star are a commercial strain of the White Leghorn and one of the most productive birds available, in that they lots of big white eggs and have a low feed intake.

I used to sell lots of hybrids on work placement before and during Uni but having to choose just two for myself seems like a tough decision :lol: