The Dogmother

Online review rejected

Have you ever had a product review rejected?

I spotted 2 tops that I liked in M&S's online site; and checked them out when I was in the store; one was lovely, so I bought it, left feedback online, and highlighted that it was sized VERY big - I am a size 8-10 and needed a size 6. This review was accepted.

The 2nd top looked nothing like its online photo; cheap and poor quality. I left an online review saying that I hadn't bought it as the top was a disappointment when seen in reality, and poor quality.

I was shocked when they rejected my review as 'not meeting the guidelines'; could this have been because I hadn't bought it? It seems a bit misleading that they appear to be rejecting unfavourable reviews.

It depends on what the guidelines are - may be worth checking. I say this because I had an Amazon review rejected once, when I looked closely, they say you shouldn't comment on packaging.

This was a central part of my review, because it was a packet of seeds that arrived with no packet, sowing instructions, photo or anything else - I reworded my review and it passed.

Some sites do prevent you from reviewing an item unless you've actually bought it, understandably, so that might be why but it's worth just looking at the rules.

Funny enough DM I have just left a negative M&S review for a pair of slippers, I have had the same slippers for the last 10 years (I know! get a life Lisa) but the new ones I purchased went back. The stitching was knotted right next to the side of your foot and rubbed constantly and gave me a blister within hours. I have checked the others in store and they are the same so i assume the supplier has changed? I am waiting to see if that review is rejected now!

I would email customer services and ask what is going on....

If you look at the M&S website, it's clear that they don't only post favourable reviews. However their guidelines say that you should only review items you have bought, used or tried on. If you didn't actually try it on, and that was clear from the review, that might be why.

Try rewriting and resubmit?

I had a review rejected by Argos once, they said it contained "Customer Service issues" that required investigation - it didn't - it related to a camera I had bought for my (then) 12 year old nephew - he chose it, but I was somewhat horrified when we got it home to find the back of the camera was pink - like most boys of that age, he wasn't too thrilled and I left a review to that effect as nowhere in the blurb did it mention any colour other than black or silver. Argos didn't publish the review and as far as I'm aware, they didn't investigate either ...