Egluntyne

Omleteers fit for 2016

I hope to get fitter in 2016.

Went for a walk yesterday so that is a reasonable start.

Would like to get a rowing machine but have no knowledge of what to look for.

After some time off due to ear operation and laziness, I've signed up to the Janathon - run/exercise every day in January. Day one ticked off. Long way to go though :roll: .

Janathon sounds interesting, ANH.

Chrissie

Back to Sunday morning circuits at my local community centre tomorrow morning :D

I want to stay as fit and active as I was in 2015 :D I was doing several classes a week last year, circuits x3, spinning x2, aqua aerobics x1, and an occasional swim after a class. A new gym is opening at the community centre very soon which I would like to go to, I will need to drop 1 or 2 of the other classes though :?

I am a member of my local councils fit for life club. 19 pounds a month entitles me to unlimited entry to various exercise classes, pool use including lessons, gym, steam room and saunas at any of the council run community centres. Paying separately for these would cost at least 4 pounds a time.

Also I will be back on my bicycle to work as soon as it gets light enough in the mornings.

Carrying on really. I do around half to one hours exercise on most days and hate the days I don't do anything. It's been difficult fitting it in over Christmas period but back on track from now.

I plan to drink more water as I'm not sure I drink enough and have successfully cut out all alcohol as I'm sure I drank enough of that! That was easier than I expected and I prefer how I feel without it in my system.

That must help with being healthy and losing weight I'd have thought. A LOT of useless calories won't be going in me.

Good Luck with all your fitness goals.

I managed my Janathon (with one day off) but have gone off the boil somewhat since :roll: . Was doing step 2 or 3 times a week but my achilles are both quite sore during the classes so I'm seeing a podiatrist tomorrow for a "biomechanical assessment" (makes me sound like a robot :lol: ).

Managed a cross country race last w/e but I've lost all motivation atm :( .

Also about a stone over the weight I want to be but unable to summon up the motivation to do anything about it :wall: .

Finished my 3 week program on EA Sports Active 2 with no missed workouts and treated myself to new PE kit :D

Then a week into my 9 week program I've been walloped by a nasty cold and not been able to do anything for a week so missed all of week 2. Gutted. I could actually see an improvement in muscle tone and body shape too.

Think I'll start the 9 weeks again.

I've ditched the PlayStation fitness trainer for a bit, and I'm trying running this winter. I'm now on week 2 of 'Couch to 5k'.

Week 1 went well, but today I made the mistake of believing a footpath would actually exist and be passable as shown on the map. I got lost in a wood as it was getting dark and ended up going nearly twice as far as intended :roll:

I got a Fitbit but rarely use it. I suppose I am a bit of a perfectionist and when I looked over sleep statistics I found it really inaccurate. Times when I knew I was awake and indeed went to loo weren’t registered and also it only really records arm movement so if you’re cycling it doesn’t pick up. Anyways I have started circuit training in our local church,which is at the bottom of our street. I got knee support things as I hurt my knees two years ago exercising. All going well and trainer has added in boxing sparring as warm up.This is irritating my frozen shoulder from many years ago so have ordered a shoulder support. Should I give up :lol: or order a support onesie :D . I really love it and it energies you for the day ahead so hope supports keep me fit to go.

I have taken to doing a' round the village walk' (approx 3.2 miles) about twice a week as fast as I possibly can. Have got it down to 33.8 mins - can't do more often as my hip plays up but am combining with 23 mins on stepper very fast on three to four other days. Not nec for weight loss but just to keep as fit as poss - I do feel that it's a case of 'use it or lose it' with everything as you get older (speaking from the lofty heights of 53!!!)

The worst bit is going past the large field of pigs, due to the smell, but I just speed up a bit and the pigs havn't complained thus far.

I’ve had 3 free Pilates sessions through our local Maggie’s cancer support centre and loved it. The instructor is great and really explains how the body moves and aims to improve balance and explains how important that is as you get older. I am going to join her class that she does specifically for ex Maggie’s people in an ongoing basis once a week. I want to improve my posture and core strength. My dad and gran both had terribly curved shoulders which has caused a lot of health problems in old age and I want to try to avoid going the same way. I’m also back to my 10,000 steps a day 2.5 weeks post last chemo which I’m pretty proud of. I have tried to stay as active as possible but I’m still impressed with myself :D . Also did a full day of work for the first time since November today. It’s fair to say I’m a bit pooped now!

My breast cancer forum ladies have got a Fitbit challenge group which is quite motivational :D

Chickencam I’m not trying to embarrass you but you are truly inspirational. I really hope I can carry your positivity through life even without dealing with a horrible illness as you’ve had to.

If you carry on like this your recovery should sky rocket now the chemo has finished.

I’m trying to get my mum to try Pilates as she has bad sciatica and didn’t really get on with yoga. I’ll show her what you’ve written. Part of the reason I do yoga is similar to your reason for doing Pilates - I have a bit of s twisted spine (scoliosis) and I’m trying to keep any negative impacts at bay as I get older by staying strong and flexible.

Thank you for you kind comments mullethunter, I really don’t know any other way, I refuse to give in! I’m also fortunate to be in otherwise good health so I want to make the most of that. My son’s girlfriend has scoliosis too and has done yoga for a few years already to keep her as flexible as possible. The Pilates that we have done has been very gentle stretching mostly. One of the ladies has cancer in her bones and brain and another is 70 with pinned knees, shoulder and a fused foot and they both have managed most exercises in some form or another. I would recommend that your mum has a chat with a few instructors to find the most suitable group.

I was inspired very early on by the lady with bone cancer, she is very upbeat and grateful for the 14 years that she had in remission that gave her the chance to bring up her children. I met her early in my treatment and decided if she could be this active and positive then I had no excuses.

Ow up to circuits Mon,Wed and Fri at 7.15 it’s great. Knees holding up.Trainer has brought girl in to do Zumba , although really a dance class and is starting Pilates tomorrow. All for £10 a week which isn’t bad. Great thing with in the church is I am meeting lots of people from the area.