dancing cloud

Tempting a dog to eat? Final update

I know the more-usual problem is keeping food away from them, but our eldest dog Kia has been a poorly girl for about three weeks now and is not eating much at all - not even scrounging from us :(. I'm therefore seeking ideas as to what I can try to tempt her with? I've tried dog food, cat food, tuna, salmon, chicken, pork, my food from my plate, the cat's food from the cat's bowl, and the vet has given her Hills a/d, all of which she barely looks at before she walks away.

It began with bad teeth, which Kia had removed under full sedation, and she has been unwell ever since. She wheezes sometimes and throws her head back and yodels, and is a long way from her usual bouncy self. Most worryingly, she barely touches her food and she is usually such a greedy thing. It's a good job she was somewhat tubby at the start of this, as she's now rather svelte. The vet has freely admitted she doesn't know what's wrong after x-rays and a scan of her chest and stomach, and Kia's going back for a barium meal on Monday to see if that shows anything, but I am desperate for ideas to get her eating. At the moment, she could have caviar drenched in white truffle oil, if it would make a difference!

Any ideas for what else can I try, please?

Edited by Guest

Oh poor Kia :(

What about a small amount of grated cheese or some live yoghurt? Just thinking that they might be easy to eat?

I'm sure that your vet has discounted this but she couldn't have something stuck in her throat could she?

Poor girl... I hope that you get to the bottom of the problem and that she's back to her old self soon.

The x-rays found nothing in her throat - we wondered about that, but nothing so obvious or easily cured :roll:

The Hills a/d can be smelled all round the house and the other two dogs and Loki-cat all go mad for it. It's basically a high-calorie mush that's excellent for recovering pets, but Kia just gives it the face :vom:. I can certainly try warming it - will try anything!

She's already refused cheese and I'll have a go with live yoghurt. At least I can eat that if she won't!

I have fussy Schnauzer who goes off food for days,she likes scrambled eggs. Also would she drink milky things? Would she drink Ensure,or is there a doggy equivalent. How long since her teeth removal,could her gums be sore? Have you tried painkillers and then food an hour later. That might show discomfort the problem.

Was also going to suggest scrambled egg, add a bit of cheese for more protein/fat. Mine also love raw egg.

My old collie had a lot of problems with his teeth, I got him to eat warm soggy wetabix with quite a bit of sugar.

I've heard of people giving their dogs rice pudding and frozen bananas.

Hope she starts eating soon.

If she used to be a bit of a scrounger would she prefer to steal food? The only way I could get worming tablets down our last rottie was to be cooking in the kitchen and "accidentally" knock a cheese covered wormer off the worktop and then tell him to leave it. Just because he thought he couldn't have it he would wolf them down before he knew what it was.

Thank you everyone.

Me and my dad sat with Kia for much of the night, as she was very wheezy and clearly not a happy dog :(. He's taking her to the vets again this morning and we are both not optimistic about her coming home - a difficult conversation and lots of tears, the very worst part of pet-owning :cry:.

There is still a chance the vet might identify why she's so ill and be able to cure her, but realistically we have explored so many options and I feel the time has come to call a halt, especially as the vet has already said she does not know what's wrong.

We will still have Kia's son and daughter, and a Loki-cat and two hens to keep us company, but she will be much missed.

Thank you for all your support, it's very much appreciated. After all that, slightly better news - Kia's home at least until Monday :D

Having kept us up most of the night with her wheezing and looking very sad, my dad took her as soon as the surgery opened, not expecting to bring her back. Apparently by the time the vet got to see her, Kia was looking round at all the other patients, bright-eyed and interested, and never wheezed once :shock: Little monkey! Good job we've known that vet a long time and she knows we don't go unless there really is something wrong.

The vet has given her a steroid injection to try to assist with her breathing and she's due to go back on Monday.

Breathing a big sigh of relief, for now at least.

I am so sorry to hear about Kia, they do break your heart don't they.

I really hope she improves soon.

Just a crazy thought but has your vet ruled out lungworm? My brothers dog had it a year ago and had very similar symptoms. I am sure they have thought about this but just wanted to mention it to you. I hope you don't mind :?

:pray: praying for a happy outcome for you.

X