scoobies5

New chicken keepers! Where should we get our chickens from?

Hi, we are new to the chicken world and proud owners of an eglu cube. We would like to know if anyone can recommend a reliable place to get our first chickens from. We live in the New Forest and have been told of Longdown Dairy Farm but they only have warrens and we would quite like a mixture of breeds (4 hens in total) if possible. Also people say get hybrids as they are easier to look after. Is this true? I would quite like to get a couple of Orpingtons and maybe another pure breed too - are they much harder to look after? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

It depends. My plan was to rescue some battery hens and try and give them SOME quality of life, be it limited, but that is just me as I choose to rescue our pets. We live in France and it is not quite as easy to rescue exbatts but given half a chance I would do like a shot as that would give me greater satisfaction than anything. Unfortunately this is not easy here, plus I want to have some experience before I take on exbatts as they can come with problems initially. I hope you manage to rescue some but we all want different things out of our chicken keeping. I have decided to get a mix of breeds but then may get more but just exbatts. Good luck with whatever you choose.

It really depends what you want from your chickens,if you want eggs hybirds are the answer and they are very friendly to.if you want broodies to hatch eggs some pure breeds are good you really need to read up on the breeds then decide.

As far as I know Orpingtons, and indeed most 'utility' pure breeds are no more difficult to care for than hybrids. Just as Eve says, you'll get a more regular, year round egg supply from hybrids. You'd also get good egg supply from ex commercial hens.

My bantams are basically ornamental garden pets with a bonus of eggs! If I had more space, I would have ex commercials too, but most people have to make a choice!

Chose whatever you think will suit you best - you can always change later on.

Pure breeds = Broody

Well thats my MHO :lol::lol:

Love my girls but at this time of yea,r one is always broody sometimes more all at the same time.

Where as my hybrid girls lay all the time.

Really depends on the breed! I have two pure breeds, but they haven't really been broody. Ginger tried once for a few minutes... :roll::lol: