The Dogmother

Dogs in this heat

I know that you're all sensible folks, but having just seen a bloke dragging a poor, overheated golden retriever around in this heat, can I remind you to stick to short dog walks, walk in the shade, walk late, and let them have a dip in the water while we are enjoying our short 'summer'.

When you get back from your walk, cool your dog down by washing their undercarriage and feet with lots of cool hose water; this is the most effective way of cooling them down. Mine also love munching on ice cubes, but not every dog does.

Ha ha great DM! Please can you tell my 2 year old working cocker spaniel that! She's got ants in her pants! Treated yesterday as a wet day, she did have a good run first thing but needed lots of mental stimulation for the rest of the day......even in the evening it was 28 here in sunny Surrey! She had another run late evening which was fine for her, she's a busy young dog. She will sit out in the heat lying in full blown 32 degrees given the choice! I gave her a frozen Kong yesterday for tea and she looked at me as if is that the best you can do? Luckily today is going to be a bit cooler, so off for walkies in a while.