Justadmin

Chickens calling me?

Hi guys,

Just wanted some opinions before I credit my girls with too much intelligence.....so every morning I get up at 6.15, go outside and do the girl's jobs, give them a few mealworms and then head off for work, leaving them to relax and head to the nest box at their leisure. They're normally very excited when they see me, pacing up and down at the door to get their wormy treats.

I've noticed the last few mornings, at around 6.15 or just before, I'm actually awoken in bed by chicken noises, louder than their usual "casual chat" - it's definitely a noise that has a purpose. It can't be egg noise because they're not in the nest box or heading towards it. I'm convinced they've got so used to me coming out at that sort of time that they're calling for me to come down and see to them.

I know chickens can't tell time and I haven't given them a clock, but I guess from the level of daylight they might know it's that sort of time?

What do you think? I'd be really impressed if they were calling for me.

:lol: they are training you to wait on them hand and foot. Mine make an absurd racket anytime I go near their run as its their "let me out of here" shout". They used to be quiet til the afternoon, but with my 3 new feisty ISA chickens who are very sweet, they have now got a revised game plan! And the older chickens join in too :)

Mine get very excited indeed when they hear me opening the door to go and feed them and let them out. I swear tthey are more intelligent than we give them credit for. Even during the day when I go down to say hello they are so friendly and chatty. I love them to bits.

Yes they are calling you Justadmin. Their intelligence is massively underrated!!! They can see and hear far more than we can and have an established heiarchy: so no wars or ethnic assassinations!

Their time is based on the light levels, so when it is light they want to get up to feed. They are telling you this.

When you get their environment right they will come and tell you they want to lay, "so can you please let me into the nest box". All our locked out broodies have to do this.

We don't give treats regularly because it undermines their natural behaviour.

I definitely think they are calling to you! Happily mine don't make a lot of noise to get my attention - phew! I really hope that's not going to be a case of famous last words!

However, at about 2 pm they all line up along the side of the walk-in run running up and down in the hope that they will get my attention from the kitchen window. If they catch a glimpse of me then they double their efforts :lol: I normally let them out to free-range around this time so they've learned to tell the time or read the signs!