soapdragon

Birthdays - how do you celebrate (or just ignore...?)

Thanks, Ali.......will look up recipe and put on all things nice bit asap.....mind you, given the state of the kitchen, you might want to stick to a good old sponge with some nutmeg!!!!! I am sure there was a para in the recipe that said....throw all ingredients around the kitchen for five minutes in lieu of mixer or maybe I am just being paranoid?

For those interested in history try Pamela Hartshorne...4 books based between 16th cent York and modern...just off to make a start on the 4th!

Crikey WitchHazel, no wonder you hate birthdays. That's an awful experience. At least when I was growing up they were special, mum always made a cake and iced it, and I had a party every year up till I was about 10.

If I'm honest I nearly always feel sad on my birthday these days because I think about my mum, she has been dead for thirteen years but I still miss getting a card from her.

Glad you had a good day soapdragon.

Witch hazel. That was horrible of your parents. It actually made me cry. I'm sorry, I can't remember your profile. Do you have loving people round you now?

I think you should flip the bird to your birthday memories and make every birthday be one that pleases you from now on. The best revenge is to live well - something like that anyway. (hatch) (there's no heart emoji so I thought the new little chick would be a good substitute)

I've always been a bit of a low key person. I like it quiet. My 21st I messed up. I wanted to be with my grandparents so that was done. However I was not expecting everyone to burst in singing happy birthday and waking me up at stupid o'clock in the morning so I refused to get up until 4 in the afternoon. What a waste because of my bad mood. That said they should have known that anything before 8am on a day off was a no go area with me. I'm not a morning person. Now if they had waited till I got up - which would probably been around 9.30 or 10 . . . I will always regret my actions there.

Normally we just go out for a meal. I usually get choccies from the boy and assorted funnies from the girl. Nothing from hubby which suits me fine - I have a birthday pretty much every month when I nip down to the quilt shops. :whistle:

We agree to get our own things now. That stems from when he used to buy me birthday gifts which came from the garden centre mainly - because it was easy for him. Never any thought. My 40th was the last straw. I had a dried flower arrangement in the most dull of dullest browns and a watering can (to add to my numerous watering cans from previous years - I still have quite a collection - the darned things just won't DIE!) which were from "the children". In other words he went to the garden centre again and just thought oh that'll do. But he actually bought a CD that I'd wanted. He gave it to me unwrapped and said "it isn't very good - only the first two tracks are the best". So that's why I love my quilt shops.

Although I did get the cube and the chickens for my 50th so that was probably the best birthday I have ever had.

Oh goodness Witch Hazel how terrible, that is so unkind,I do hope you have lovely birthdays now.

Olly I know exactly how you feel, I found our wedding anniversary card My Mum had brought just after she died, it wasnt written in , but I put it up every year, so very special to have that, and now I always keep my cards from my loved ones until the following year, just in case...... I know it sounds rather weird but now love seeing my lovely Mums card on the mantle every year.

Yes, as you get older you are missing mums,dads and maybe siblings from 'family' gatherings.It is sad to know that soppy card or phone cal is never ever going to come again but I do think it is so important to grab every day and shake the life out of it. Hence my strap line??? Is that the right name,ah well whatever have had a generous glass of red.

WitchHazel, that is awful :shock: (your parents, not you obviously)

I've got mixed views, my family used to make a fuss, my husbands didn't and he still doesn't. It's taken years before my boys started to even buy me anything and OH still doesn't really bother.

However one of my sisters always outdoes the rest of us for our mothers presents to the point where we've almost given up bothering. My mother is incredibly difficult to buy for anyway. I'm at the point where I find buying presents a bit of an ordeal.

What I would like for my birthday is to be looked after and made a fuss of, a beautiful bouquet of flowers and every meal made for me would be bliss 8)

Edited by Guest

I saw a video earlier in which the parents had asked the family for handwritten notes and photos for their daughters 1st birthday; they were locked away unopened until her 18th birthday.

I think half of the family members who wrote notes were no longer around which made them extra special.