Beantree

Wound powder

I recollect some mention of 'wound powder' previously? We have had broken and bleeding claws two days in a row now. The first was a hen with one split in the centre, the second was a cock who has torn one right off. Both have been a real problem to stop the bleeding and we need something fast and effective. 'Plastic skin' didn't work. Has anyone used 'wound powder', how does it work and is there a particular type for our application?

No idea how they injured themselves by the way, so nothing can be done by way of prevention that we can see.

I have no experience of the wound powder but just did a quick search of the posts on here.

Lots of people seemed to use a Johnson's wound powder.

I didn't really find much on how much should be put on or how often but I'm sure someone will be able to give you an idea.

I hope their claws are OK.

Thanks for your comments. I've looked a Johnson's powder, but it is just an antiseptic. Very useful to have though as cream is awkward to apply to a chicken. What we need is something to clot up and stop the bleeding like is used on battlefield injuries. Seems that maize flour amongst other things can be used. We have some on the list below and will try them if we are unlucky to have more injuries. Not too sure about the baking soda though? List is as follows.

Styptic pencil alternatives -

1. Alum (Spice)

2. Corn Starch

3. Potato Starch

4. Arrowroot Powder

5. Baking Soda

We'll probably go for the Arrowroot powder first.

We use potassium permanganate on a cotton bud to stop nails bleeding which can act as a disinfectant and antiseptic - don't get any on your fingers though!

I always remember the traditional old Welsh farmer would use cobwebs to stop bleeding when we were dehorning cattle.

We had another bleed that wouldn't stop. Somehow she had pulled out a primary flight feather and the only way to get it to stop was smothering the area in Arrowroot powder, which did eventually work. By this time she had lost a lot of blood so the wing was bandaged against her body. Been over a week now and hopefully it will have healed properly and preening won't open it up again, as it did before. Will take the bandage off tomorrow.