soapdragon

Well, I Wasn't Prepared For That!

This afternoon, after an emergency visit to the vet's, I ended up trying to syringe 0.1ml of anti inflammatory medicine into an extremely small, very old, extremely hacked off and wriggly Dwarf hamster. Even the very best education doesn't prepare you for that - not that I had the best eduaction!! ES, YS and OH were NO HELP AT ALL as they were too busy laughing! (Mind you, it was nice to come away from the vet with a live hamster; usually when I take them they come home, very still, in a decorated matchbox :cry: )

Set me to wondering; has anyone else had one of those 'Oh for goodness sake, how did I end up doing this?' moments? Not just with pets but life in general!

Edited by Guest

The vet said that she could feel a lump in the abdomen and the poor little thing was having trouble with her back legs so the thinking is the tumour was pressing on the spine and curtailing movement. Poor Apple...she went down hill very quickly. We have lost all three dwarf Russians to cancers of one kind or another....they must be particularly succeptible.

Lewis and Cat Tails...that's interesting! All our hammys have been quite long lived (for the species anyway) at 2 years old plus so probably equivalent to 100 odd for humans. I think that our two Chines hamsters (brothers in the same cage) must be 3 now - they were rescue and we were told that they were 6 months old when we got them.

Things I didn't expect to find myself doing ... picking up mouse poo to examine it. :lol:

I have befriended an elderly lady, I pop in for a cuppa every so often (as well as taking her out to tea once a month with Contact the Elderly) and she sometimes asks for help with things she can't do herself. Today I put her bathroom curtains back on the hooks they'd slipped off, and then she mentioned that she thinks she might have a mouse in the bedroom :shock: and pointed out some dark spots on the floor.

My eyesight isn't great close-to, so I got down on the floor and then it was a choice between putting my head on the carpet or picking up a bit to check (I wasn't sure if it was some sort of beetle infestation without checking). Nope - it's definitely mouse poo. She's deciding whether to get a trap - which I don't think she will be able to pick up and open herself to dispose of any that are caught - or some bait boxes. At 95, there isn't much that fazes her!