HampshireGardener

Very sick chicken is hopefully cured!

While I was away visiting my sister, my husband told me that one of my four chickens wasn't very well, one of the Marans. He didn't feel he could check out what was wrong so it was late the next day when I got home and I could see that she was very sick indeed and I didn't think she would last the nigh. The following morning I fed her some cod liver oil and did some research. She didn't appear to have sour crop, nor lice but I thought she might be egg bound.

I read that someone recommended giving sick chickens a spa bath - hot water and a large handful of Epsom Salts for 10 a minute soak, so off I went to buy the salts. By this time she was not moving around, and kept her eyes closed, but I popped her in the bath, then dried her off and after half an hour she seemed noticeably better. She had been very wobbly on her feet, her tail was completely down and she just hunched in a corner.

The next day I bathed her twice, ensuring her vent was in the water as you don't need to wet the rest of her. Today, she is just about back to normal. She had passed a softie, her tail was up and she's getting around and eating again! I'm so relieved as I'm sure she would have died. I've stocked up on Epsom Salts for the future. I wonder if anyone else has tried this as I'm sure while the cod liver oil probably helped, I'm sure it was the baths in the Epsom salts that made he difference.

I've done this a few times too with success but I've also just directed the hair-dryer on their vents (not too hot and keep the nozzle moving!) and then put the hen in a cardboard box and within ten minutes the egg was laid. I think the warmth just makes them relax and the plus side is that they always seem to love it - no struggling! :-)

well done, love a happy ending.

I've also found that NutriDrops to be great at perking up unwell hens. It's just a vitamin and mineral supplement (but very concentrated). You just squeeze a couple of drops into the hen's beak. (It's not a replacement for the bathing, but it might help in other cases)