Sidney

Eglu covers

I have an eglu with extensions - 18.5 feet long run. I have 2 long plastic omlet covers and a short green one, leaving a gap between the green one and the other 2. The chickens are generally allowed out and I just shut the run door overnight. Do I need to remove the plastic covers for the summer and if so at what daytime temperatures do I need to do this. If so do I need to get another green cover for near the hen house to keep it dry if it rains?

I have removed my plastic cover a few weeks ago and only place it back on days of continuous rain. The green cover isn't rain proof. As I have the Go Up, they always can seek shelter under the coop.

They can deal with a bit of rain, but I would place them back if it is going to be a rainy day.

Think of the green covers as providing shade and nothing else, and you won't go wrong.

I have a long train of cube runs; there's a clear plastic market tarp over the whole lot to keep any rain out. It is in dappled shade, so if it gets hot or sunny, I pops some opened out plastic feed sacks underneath to provide shade. I never take the clear cover off.

I have cheap ebay groundsheets over my omlet runs after the original omlet ones disintegrated.

They stay on all the time to protect the run from rain/sun/bird droppings etc

(but the girls do get to FR and sunbathe - if they didn't I'd uncover the ends of the run so they got some sun)