Roksteddie

FLIES - alternative to red top fly trap?

The red top fly trap has worked fantastically to keep fly numbers down in and around the chicken coop and run areas. However, now that it's been up a few weeks and with the hot weather, it stinks to high heaven! You can smell it the moment you step outside and it's really unpleasant. I'm really concerned that the neighbours will complain really soon, thinking the chickens themselves are to blame. Does anyone have any less stinky recommendations on alternatives to the red top fly trap?

They do stink and I think they attract more flies. I'd rather do without personally :?

Yep I agree.. hideous thing... it's that time of year again when flies are abound. I have tried just about everything and the only thing I have found that helps is copious amounts of floor sanitizer and lots of poop picking!!

Bought these from local garden centre: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/ajg/STV-International-STV336-Buzz-Fly-Catcher-Twin/B00VAGK1RU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1495989714&sr=8-2&keywords=the+buzz+fly+catcher

They seem to do the job and they don't smell as bad. I've stupidly just bought a red top in a closing down sale, totally forgetting the stench they make and that I had these other things. You can buy the attractant for them separately.

I had the red top thing once - it was gross :vom:

It certainly was a fly attractant, attracting all the flies from near and far.

I use citronella oil, lavender oil and eucalyptus oil - with a couple of drops of each on little cloths dotted around the run.

Smells really quite nice and seems to work.

If it's a really, really hot day I still use the cloths and light a citronella candle outside of the run around lunch time and I don't see any flies for the rest of the afternoon :D

Thanks for all the input. I've had some questions over whether the trap was actually attracting more flies to the garden so I'm going to go without a trap of any sort and assess fly numbers. The other trap mentioned on amazon also seems to have an issue with bad smells according to the reviews...

I found the fly papers very good - no smell! :-0

How do you use them? I imagine that they'd be a bit of a hazard for the chickens if put up in the run? Do they have something that attracts the flies to them or is it just pot luck that flies may land on them?