SeramaSilly

Running low on layers pellets! :-0

We give our ladies porridge made with oats and water and they really like it.

I don't know about using it as a replacement for layers pellets, we just give it as a treat on cold mornings (even though they don't really need it!) but if it's just for a couple of days I don't suppose it will do any harm and you can't have them going hungry - especially in this weather.

Not sure about it clogging up their gizzard but they don't really need porridge. If you want to give something warm in the mornings just use warm water and layers pellets to made a porridge, good for putting tonics in.

If you're stuck they'll be fine on mixed corn for a couple of days.

34 minutes ago, Grandmashazzie said:

I too do that,also mine love cornflakes and sweet corn. You will have plenty to keep them going. I think in the past chooks just got kitchen s"Ooops, word censored!"s.

This is the funiest “word censored” ever!:lol:

Thanks everyone - yes I am giving them porridge made with layers pellets and warm water but will run out by Saturday.  I've just realised that their corn is probably out of date because I haven't given them any for such a long time so they may well have to have 'censored' stuff!! :-0

Hi Clare, yes we've got about 9 inches here, it's snowing again now and a lot more is forecast.  We're on a very steep hill and had to abandon the car miles away.  If the chicken feed shop is open tomorrow we'll try and walk down.  Porridge oats is about the least processed thing I can think of.

Porridge oats, tin of corn, if all else fails: wet dog or cat food. Although the latter you are not allowed to feed to chickens in according to DEFRA I think. No such rule in the Netherlands :wink:, so mine are currently tucking into some wet cat food. A bit extra calories is a good thing with this weather. Especially as the daft birds are back at laying.

I haven't run out of food but in this cold weather I did make mine hot porridge with oats and sunflower seeds in - they didn't like it.

I then made them pellet porridge - they didn't like it.

So I made them some mashed potato - and they didn't like that either.

Fussy little madams.

Luvachicken that’s pretty much the same as mine! Don’t like proper porridge or pellet porridge even with sunflower hearts (which they love) in. Haven’t tried mash - would result in a lot of beak wiping I reckon!

Sophie P I don’t think it would matter if corn was past any date as long as it isn’t mouldy.

Thank you everyone.  I managed to walk into town and get some pellets on Saturday so I didn't actually run out in the end.  Luvachicken mine will KILL for pellet porridge!! :-0  By the way I love your pekin babies!! :)

Ooooo Jenny, I don't think I could risk it for a swisskit!!! O.o  I'm sure you're too young to remember that - it was a advert in the 70's - would you risk it for a swisskit??!!

That's really strange - my reply to Jenny got added to the my previous post! :-0