I went to a poultry auction today. The intention was that if I saw anything I REALLY liked I might buy it/them to add to my flock instead of buying eggs to hatch later in the month. As it happened my brain was obviously somewhere else as I forgot my cat boxes and so would’ve had nothing to bring them home in, so I couldn’t have done that.

I saw a bantam gold Brahma pullet who quite took my fancy, a buff pekin pullet, and a maran bantam pullet which I also liked. The maran was a lot smaller than others I’ve seen - can anyone tell me how big they normally are compared to, say, a Wyandotte bantam?

This isn’t the first time I’ve been to a poultry auction and the condition of the birds wasn’t that different to what I’ve seen before, but an awful lot of them had their tails down or were doing odd ‘gaping’ type things with their beaks. I would never buy any birds that were behaving like that - do you think it’s likely they were unhealthy / ill or just stressed?

I’d be interested to hear of others experiences of buying at auction because I’m really wary of it and I don’t know whether I’m right to be. Also does anyone know if there’s a way to find out who the sellers are?

I've only ever been to The Surrey County Show and the chickens in the show pen looked good and didn't show any of the symptoms you have described at the auction, so maybe poorly birds rather than stressed.

Not much help from me I know, but someone like The Dogmother or Lewis will probably have good advice.

At the shows the birds have been prepped to be happy in pens - can't have stressed or sick birds if you want a prize!  But auction birds, unless they are used to pens and the noise, can be a very scary experience for them.   Very sad.  Auctions are something that I would avoid.  I would purchase from the shows - I have my lovely peeps that could help and advise me *flutters eyelashes*.  But so far I've just visited breeders - the ones that are happy for you to look beforehand are good because you can judge the conditions. Don't get them from people who won't - I learnt the hard way and decided the girls were rescuees!  Neither lasted as long as my previous birds - and they were supposed to outlive the old'uns!  Besides visiting breeders you get to see lots of feather dusters in bigger spaces.  Brahmas just look majestic and stroll - want!

Looking at this website, bantam marans appears to be much smaller - weight-wise.

http://www.themaransclub.co.uk/breed-standards/4541956911

Likely they were stressed if panting, was it indoors? Not likely to be overheating in this weather.

Which auction was it? Stick to the reputable ones and if possible go to the graded auctions where a judge will grade each pen before the auction. Every auction has to have a record of the sellers, there would (should) have been a catalogue available on the day.

Most important thing is strict quarantine after buying from a show, sale or auction.

Thanks all. I didn’t know they sold birds at shows - I’ll try that instead because I know there are a fair few down our way. I think someone at the top of the Pekin breeders club is near me.

Yes sort of panting I suppose Lewis and definitely not hot. I always think it must be incredibly stressful for birds who have likely always lived in one place and probably not been handled much to be shoved in a cage and put into the noisy busy auction shed.

It was ‘Lodge and Thomas’ poultry auction in Truro. I have a catalogue but it just says what the lots are not who’s entered them.

Ive never heard of a graded auction.

Thanks for all the info. I’d have to really fall in love with something to buy it at auction I think - even with a quarantine period I’m too afraid of bringing home more than just the chickens.