Oliver

Bantam Breed / Hybrid for Laying ?

Hello All, Newbie to this so I’m sure this question has been asked before but couldn’t find any recently.

I have just purchased a Classic and is erected and ready to go, I have found a breeder, so now I need advice on which Bantam would be suitable, I’m going for the bantam because I’m limited with space with a 3 metre run.

Im after a good layer I know they’re not as prolific as the larger breed, I’m sure I’ve read the polish breed is good, also would like a range of different colour eggs to go with the choice. I presume bantams have hybrids same as normal sized breeds ?

Im after 3 hens in total, any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

David

Hello, firstly welcome to chickens and the forum! :D

Unfortunately there are no 'official' bantam hybrids - invent one and I am sure you will make money!  I am not sure why they don't exist, I have always thought they would be a good idea and very popular.  I know some backyard breeders have made small crossbreeds but I don't know how widespread or 'true' they are.

For different coloured eggs you will need different breeds. Polands are good layers, with white eggs, but I would urge you to start with a different breed, as they are often not good in a mixed flock.  They can be bullied as their visibility is not as good as most because their crests (the pompom hairdo) gets in the way of their all round vision, meaning it is easy for another bird to get behind it and administer a pecking.  Added to which they really need a lipped drinker, and regular checks for in the crest for lice and mites.   I love polands, and none of this is difficult, but in my opinion they are best kept as a single breed, particularly for a first time keeper. There are so many other breeds to choose from and I am sure our Omleteers will fill your head with ideas!  

Well it depends what you want to achieve.  They are all pretty robust and easy to care for, and good backyard birds, although you may find bantam barnies hard to come by.  However, I thought you wanted different colour eggs as the barnie, RIR and LS will be more or less the same (ie light brown). The marans should be darker. but this isn't totally sure, it depends on the strain of bird.

It is a good general rule, white earlobes should lead to white eggs, but as Cat tails says, its not infallible.  I had a poland who went from laying white eggs most of her life to changing to cream one year (which is incorrect for the breed).

Hybrids were bred by commercial companies to produce prolific layers in the 60's, I guess there's not really a commercial market for bantam eggs so they haven't been made.
Some breeders have crossed bantams to make good layers but they aren't hybrids as such.

Those 4 breeds you've chosen would be good egg layers but maybe find a local breeder and see what breeds they have so that you can source them from the same place and bring them home together :) 

Leghorn bantams lay well. White eggs around 40 grammes daily. They are very confident chickens, only had one broody for just a day and all extremely flighty, so any run must have a closed top and attempts at free-ranging in the garden will result in them roosting high in any trees, well out of reach. Problem is the fox knows they are there and will snatch the first to touch ground in the morning so free-ranging at any time is not an option.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2018 at 7:47 PM, Beantree said:

Leghorn bantams lay well. White eggs around 40 grammes daily. They are very confident chickens, only had one broody for just a day and all extremely flighty, so any run must have a closed top and attempts at free-ranging in the garden will result in them roosting high in any trees, well out of reach. Problem is the fox knows they are there and will snatch the first to touch ground in the morning so free-ranging at any time is not an option.

I have Leghorn Bantams in my poultry and it gives me a good profit because of its eggs.

Edited by Diana Welz

Thanks all, I’ve managed to get some welsummers and Rhode Island Red bantams, most places I contacted only had Pekins or Poland’s ? couldn’t have chosen I hotter time to buy chickens !!!

so will now keep making eye out for white layers.

thanks