Natspringy

Chickens don't eat their food

Hello all,

I'd love the thought and tips of experienced chicken owners rather than Google, which can be a bit hit and miss....

I've noticed the chooks don't really eat their food. They just rely on foraging and snacks (mil has been feeding my poorly girl back to health so making sure she eats was priority)... With one with a heart condition I'm thinking carefully about preserving her health and the rest of my brood. I'm thinking chicken food should make up most their diet??!! But not sure how to ensure this happens.... atm they are given the lovely omlet deed but u rarely see them eat it.

Any tips or thoughts so welcome.

So grateful for this group!!

Don’t give them anything else to eat. I know! Is easier said than done... mine get mixed corn and endive in the morning to stop them shouting. (Have many neighbours, very close)

but I know Dogmother always advices to give them limited (or no treats...) and only in the afternoon. So limit their free ranging to the afternoon too.

• Thanks 1

Chicken feed should make up the vast majority of the diet.  I don't know if you free range them, but if you do, then food found on the forage is also obviously very good for them, they will find seeds, insects, the odd bit of meat, and green forage.  Chickens are omnivores.  If you do range them, then what I used to do was tet them out in the morning and keep them in the run for an hour or so so they tucked into the pellets.  Then they were on the range all day, with water stations around the garden.  They would come back and eat pellets as well as eating on the range and I expect yours are doing the same.  If yours are in the run all day, then as CT says, just don't feed them anything else.  They will not starve!  Treats used be used very sparingly, and in the afternoon.  For example, I would use straight wheat (it is better if you can get it than corn as it does not encourage them to lay down fat which is not good for them or egg laying) to entice them back into the run if I needed to shut them up if I was going out for example.  

Also, remember that roughly speaking, each chicken will eat roughly 4oz a day, less if they are foraging.

• Thanks 1

You do well to monitor ill chooks, they often tend not to eat properly, and in this case I do mollycoddle for a while at least.  Basically find out what she will eat and make sure she gets it.  Personally I found that often wet food went down better, so I used to hand feed pellet mash (ie pellets mixed with water into a mush) before resorting to favourite treats, but things like mealworms are full of protein, so good.  Also really try to make sure they get some water down them.

• Like 1

That's useful. She has a heart condition so is always going to be a little ill. Hence me trying to figure it all out! 

Thank you.  I've said to neighbours treats are fine this week. I will address when back at least that way I know she's eating! (I'm on holiday. Very bad timing! )

The others are right - stick to pellets, making them up into a wet mash if you need to engage their attention, If they are ignoring the feed, then keep them in the run in the morning, when they eat the most, if possible.

Free ranging is good too though, and they will pick up all sorts of stuff, as they would in their natural habitat. The variety is good for them. If your garden is lacking in green stuff at the moment, then string some dark green leaves up in the run in the afternoon, put it slightly too high for them and they will enjoy jumping for it.

Wheat is a great treat supplement, and at harvest time, I glean it from the fields around here

With regards to your sick hen, I would make up a wet mash with diluted Vit Boost tonic, to give her extra nutrients.

Make sure that they are wormed regularly and treated for lice/mites and they will stay healthy

• Thanks 1

Thanks Clare. They are being kept in in the am as long as possible without the neighbours complaining- they do make a racket to come out! And given only their food.  In the afternoon I give a little mix of greens and yet they are still not really eating their food. 

Will try keeping them in even longer in the am.  They just don't seem to want their food! I've locked the grandpa feeder open so it won't bother them. They haven't had a food change.  Can they just go off food?! I've noticed  they do get bored of certain tastes after a while but to be bored of their food!! Will persevere. Have been trying some mashes for them too..fussy monkeys. They didnt even get that many treats before just some veg in the evenings. (With the exception of whilst I was away). 

I will source some wheat, thank you! 

They do come back with full crops from free ranging so guess they are finding things! Although grass seems a favourite 😂

Just a couple of thoughts...

Are the pellets fresh? They tend not to like feed which has been in the feeder any more than a couple of days, so it's best to give small amounts and often, clearing out in between. I have to keep reminding my lovely neighbour of this when she looks after my lot... she's inclined to worry about them getting enough and fills the troughs right up.

They might not eat loads when it is very hot.

Some brands aren't as good as others, and they seem to know that; mine aren't fussy eaters, but they won't touch Dodson & Horrell for some reason. I feed them on Smallholder pellets, and occasionally add some of this stuff in as it's good quality, but I think it too rich to feed neat. I would suggest giving them a month of sticking to one product and being strict, see how it goes.

• Thanks 1

That's really useful thank you.  I had filled the feeder right up when I went away. It's meant to stay fresh in the grandpa but I'll try swapping and see. The food bag itself has only been open 3 weeks in total but I'm wondering if that has an impact... I store in a big plastic feed bin. I was advised a new bag every 6 weeks, is that right?  I'll go try swapping some tonight. Thanks for the suggestions.  And thanks re brands.  Really useful. :)

Edited by Natspringy

They are starting to show a bit more interest in the mash now; I did crumble some dried mealworms and mix them through to get them to pay attention! But they seem to be eating more of it each day, maybe now it's part of their routine... interestingly the food is from the other bag so I've used that bag in the feeder. Also have some small holder on order to see what they make of it. Thanks for suggestions; much appreciated!

1 hour ago, The Dogmother said:

Are the pellets fresh? They tend not to like feed which has been in the feeder any more than a couple of days, so it's best to give small amounts and often, clearing out in between.

Ooer, I've never done that :oops:

The Omlet man that delivered my very first hens 9 years ago said you just fill up the grub and it should last a week, refilling it each week.

I wonder if that's why they seem to prefer one feeder out of the three I have.

9 hours ago, Luvachicken said:

Ooer, I've never done that :oops:

The Omlet man that delivered my very first hens 9 years ago said you just fill up the grub and it should last a week, refilling it each week.

I wonder if that's why they seem to prefer one feeder out of the three I have.

I am.wondering if the feeder plays a part.... I don't think they like the bars across the food on the Grandpa although they used it happily before. That said I tried the omlet feeder and they looked in then ignored it. They did eat mash this am and I showed them their food; they looked, picked up a few pieces dropped a few and ate maybe a crumb 😂 I did find a lump of wet food in there (how I don't know) so they must have realised... Don't know if now they just don't trust it. Funny things. Definitely will empty the feeder weekly after seeing that. 

I have always used gravity feeders for mine, but this lot like to rake the feed out all over the place, even when I try hanging the feeders higher. I have a couple of galvanised troughs with the no-standing grills on top, I put a couple of scoops of feed in each, then the next day I add one scoop to each and mix it in. When that's nearly empty I clear out the troughs and replenish. Some of mine are youngsters though and not yet laying.

• Thanks 1

Thank you. So much useful info, I have some on order so i will try them. And yes I will definitely be cleaning mine out frequently.

I've stuck the omlet feeder back in for now in case it's the feeder (although with mice on the buidling site nearby, I think long term grandpa might be best but for now). They are going and looking at both but not touching much. They are eating some mash now. So now I think it is the food so will try new but give it a month. Fingers crossed. Fussy things! 

THEY ARE FINALLY EATING THEIR FOOD! 😊😊😊  thanks for all the advice all! 😊😊 

In case anyone else needs to know this is what I've been doing:

I stopped all treats bar a little greens and a handful of meal worms. Then I have been giving a mash, using their food,  in am and pm with pulverised meal worms to attract them.  They have also spent more time in run in the am and before bed.  When in the run I've been showing them their food and calling them to it; they always come to see!  Its super fresh now too. Now they will have it when shown..I had to mix a few meal worms before to get their attention.

I also gave them their food as a treat when they were in the kitchen; for some reason they loved it thrown all over the place in there (so messy 😂). Additionally, I added another feed station for choice and then also bought some new feed which I put in the pecker. They are very excited by this "treat" especially the ones who turned their noses up at it today.  My big girl is very happy with the new food! (The small holder range; she loves it!) So there we go finally all having food and eating. Phew!

Thanks again guys. This forum is so helpful.

That sounds good - is it a wet mash you are making?

Make sure to take up any not eaten within an hour, and try to get them onto dried feed. They don't much like new things, so try to stick to one type of feeder and one feed now, restrict their ranging space too so that they aren't too busy finding new areas. Perhaps keep them out of the house.Stick to the regime of same feed, feeder and no more treat than you are giving now.

xD it's known as Clare's bootcamp when I talk about feeding on my courses!

It is wet mash yes, just food and warm water. Will make sure I take it up. Have been but will stay on it.

Okay,  thank you, will follow those tips. Hmm tricky working out which feed as two prefer crumb and one pellets 😂 . Will try to streamline.... annoyingly omlet were out of the usual layers crumb which is why the change in brand also they weren't eating it at the time (accidentally ordered small holder pellets rather than crumb; not sure how!) I have the crumb coming although I'm not sure that's wise now they are eating their current brand more.... But I think maybe the small holder range may be better for them?!

Yes, was thinking I'd restrict their ranging a bit more now they are more used to it although they will protest; especially as one now lays in the bamboo! Lol re house, they love it under the table but I can try!  I've mainly let them in to help them stay cool as the run doesn't have the best shade.

Thanks Clare, these tips are great. I will remove the extra feeders when I get home. 

Chickens are creatures of habit aren't they?! I hadn't realised this. Am working hard to keep a routine for them.

Edited by Natspringy