soapdragon

I've killed my kefir!

Gulp! I left my kefir out as usual but it's 'turned' in the heat and, in spite of rinsing off the grains and trying again it still tastes 'off'. Has anyone else had this problem? I've decided to go again once the summer is over. Guess I'll just have to go down the natural yog route in the interim!

Funnily, I was wondering how everyone was getting on with theirs.

I have lots of grains in the freezer Soapy, let me know if I should send you some. I have built up a little bank of frozen grains, and used them several times when I have been away; they actually produce better Kefir after freezing.

This has spurred me on to defrost mine. I will pick up some organic milk at next shop. That is my only gripe with it, we don’t use organic milk on day to day basis as we go through a lot with the boys. I tried coconut milk ,as it would be easy to have cartons in store cupboard, but it was not overly successful.

You don't need to use organic Lewis; I often don't, but as Shazzie mentioned in the other kefir thread, the grains seem to fare better in it. She wondered if this was down to the antibiotics or something else used to treat non-organic herds. The grains seem quite sensitive to the quality of milk, and it's nutrients

I gave some grains to my mum some time ago and she uses soya milk!!! Thanks for the offer, DM - I have decided to wait a while until the weather cools so will probably go again at the end of the summer. Good tip about freezing though, I just used to eat the leftovers!