The Dogmother

Clenching teeth and toothguards

I have to admit to being a dreadful tooth clencher; a few years back it started at night only, and I'd wake up with a stiff jaw and neck. I don't think that I grind them, just clench. Lately (with all the stress of the last couple of years) I have started to do it in the day as well, without really realising it. A friend suggested a toothguard from Boots, which I bought - now I clench a bit less, but at least I am not running the risk of damaging my teeth. I am still doing it in the day though.... does anyone have any experience of this, or know of some sort of therapy to stop me doing it?

I've heard of people having botox to reduce jaw clenching, jist had a quick Google and it seems like a thing you can have. My mum has botox somewhere in Midlands; happy to send you details if you'd like them.   Also maybe cortisol lowering stuff like yoga and meditating to try and rewire your base stress level?  Sorry you've had a tough few years x

4 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

Thanks Natspringy, I do go to a meditation session once a week, but it's hard to find time to fit in to my daily routine. Not too sure about Botox though and I guess it would be expensive.

Yes, I'm not sure how'd I'd feel about botox either.

Annoying re dentists. Can you apply further afield to an nhs one? 

3 hours ago, Princess Leia said:

I had an issue with this after jaw surgery (had both jaws moved forward 12mm for sleep apnoea) Physio helped, but it was quite simple - thumb inside cheek as far back as you can reach and pinch and hold the muscle hard with your fingers outside (obviously), repeat both sides. Worked for me!

That's interesting, how often do you need to do this?