Rhapsody

Here's the new horse! (and Zeus says hi)

The ark is starting to groan a bit but here's Myrrka, the Fjord we bought for my youngest. She is a superstar and looks after him really well while managing to leave the bigger horses behind as she powers up our hills! These are quite rare in this country, it took me all summer to find her I chose one of these because they are hardy and strong for their size and calm and placid, my son has Asperger's so needs a gentle horse. The Mohican hairdo rocks dont it? :lol:

myrrka001.jpg

Oh and Zeus says hi, here he is with his best friend, my other son's cob

myrrka002.jpg

@DG-umm......they are to protect their eyes and noses from flies, some horses react badly to flies and flybites. They are made of gauze so they can see through.

Thanks for all your lovely comments guys, she is such a good girl and draws quite a crowd when we take her out, everyone is fascinated by the mane! We have taken her shoes off (all my horses are barefoot) which has taken the wind out of her sails a bit but once her feet harden up there'll be no stopping her and my son. Have enrolled him in Pony Club, lets see what the Surrey horse s"Ooops, word censored!"s make of her :lol:

:lol: Claret- the shod/unshod thing is an ideological minefield. Some people get very cross when you casually mention your horse is unshod (honestly!)I dont have a farrier but an Equine Podiatrist knows how to trim my horses feet for the work they do, she (yes SHE) has done an amazing job with my 3 other neds.

The roads thing is a huge rural myth- my Shetland ex-driving pony spent all her (unshod) life trotting like the clappers on roads pulling a cart with 2 people in it and her feet are perfect and hard as iron. Similarly my Irish and Welsh boys both hack out for miles on very stony hills and along country roads barefoot quite happily, and :twisted: as you dont clip-clop you get to sneak up on walkers and scare the bejesus out of them too :lol:

where my girls and I ride has about 3 of these lovely fjords! the owner swears by them for reliablity, temperament and hardiness. I ride a fab TB, but he's mad as a hatter!! rode one of the fjords a week or so ago after the TB had cut himself - very comfortable, easy ride, but one problem was that he was so barrel shaped it was hard to get the saddle to fit properly, and hence it had an alarming tendency to slip as we went round corners... do you use a gel thing under the saddle or anything?

wow beachchick 3 Fjords! I use a gulleted treeless saddle on her that I have for my Welshie, I shim up the front as she doesnt have any withers and we have jumped 3ft no prob :D she is suffering with her feet a bit today poor baby she'll thank me for being a barefoot horse in the end though- meanwhile she is wearing Old Mac horse boots on hacks (v. funky).

Non horse folk must think this post is utter gibberish! :lol: