fairy&cake

does anyone have one of these?

Ive got one of those.

Mine has not been that successful :? but other people I know have them and say they work fine.

They have to be sighted in a sunny spot which mine is in the summer, however it is in partial shade in the winter which meant it stopped working. There were a few eggs on top of the pile which did not rot down at all. they were there for over a year :shock: OH took ours apart a while back, dug out all the waste and dug the waste in the garden. Bones, chicken carcasses, eggs and egg shells had not rotted away. The smell took his breath away :vom:

I have started to put some waste into the cone again, not as much as last time as I have bought a Bokashi bin.

My cone was £10 from my local council. If you want to see if your council as a similar scheme check out this site www.recyclenow.com/compost

Click on "get a low cost compost bin", enter your postcode, click on "additional bins"

I'm thinking you mean a Bokashi bin. I'm running two of these at the mo. One to fill and the other standing for a week or so before putting it on the compost where it breaks down even further and much faster then our compost bin normally is. Like the green cone it will take all food waste and it doen't need a sunny site. We keep the one we are filling next to the kitchen bin, every layer of food gets a sprinkling of the speacial bran and when full it stands for a week before going on the compost. So far we've had no problems, no real smells except when you open it and then it's a bitlike sweet pickles.

http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/shop/foundcategory.lasso?category_id=16&-session=shopper:4E905764161272C13EGwp192018E

Good info but there are cheaper places to buy them

How odd I mentioned these on my blog yesterday. Mum and Dad had one and it was excellent but Dad thought Mum was trying to kill him when he had to dig it in!

This must have been a long time ago as Dad has been gone for 6 years, they may be smaller now.

Not sure of the amount, i put in about 5 pints last night, under cover of darkness, as that's what Abi and I had accumulated. OH's pee goes in a garden sprayer to be sprayed round the edge of the garden to ward off foxes. We save the pee in old plastic milk bottles. I only save a day ot twos amount at a time otherwise it stinks :x:oops: