CatieB

Poorly dog

This will probably seem a daft question to many but I have never had a dog with a prolonged upset tummy, at what point does it become a vet issue?

Coco is a shih tzu and about 6 years old. I would say she is healthy overall apart from the fact she was meant to have an op much earlier this year on her bottom. I cannot recollect the name of the condition, maybe a polop (sorry spelling) or something like that; you can sometimes tell that she struggles to go to the toilet and see a red thing. Anyway on the day of the op the surgeon recommended that we didn't go ahead, he thought the cons outweighed the pros and that it wasn't that bad. She has seemed fine since albeit we sometimes see the polop.

Yesterday she ate her breakfast and within a short time was sick. Ever since then she has had an upset tummy which has got progressively worse. I was up in the night clearing up. She has also had a wee several times in the house which is unheard of. I haven't fed her, should I? There is water down. When she goes to the toilet now it is just liquid. 

She is curled up sleeping most of the time, but when she moves / we disturb her she seems relatively normal other than the toilet issue. Has anyone experienced similar, would you wait and see or consider an emergency vet? Should we feed her and if so what.

Thank you.

I would get her to drink as much as you can to keep her hydrated. If she is drinking and looking bright enough maybe could wait until to morrow. Is she likely to have eaten something she shouldn’t? If she is an inside dog and you’re sure she hasn’t eaten anything poisonous or a toy or something, it could be simple upset tummy,our vet recommends boiled rice until diarrhoea settles. ( I think you mean polyp )

She is much brighter this afternoon but we've still not fed her, so technically she has nothing to be ill on, poor thing. 

She could have eaten anything, she is a real scavenger and frequently found with things she shouldn't have despite our best efforts - she doesn't go out out as such as we have an enclosed garden but there could be things in there as we live rurally so wild life gets in and our cats dump stuff. My son now has to take his school bag upstairs as she learnt when it was downstairs how to open the zip, get out the pencil case and open that to chew the pens and pencils!!! Honestly. She hasn't done that in a while though.

My vet gave me some kaolin and peptin mixture which is magic for an upset tummy.  He said he slurps it himself if he’s got a problem!  Sadly, he has now retired.  

I’d start by offering a scrambled egg, then progress to chicken and rice. I also move them onto Chappie, the lowest fat dog food available before slowly reintroducing her normal food.  

She is much better today, I could tell as soon as she came sitting at my feet looking for food and was tail wagging at the stair gate waiting for our son to come down.

So I gave her 2 scrambled eggs this morning and she has kept that down. Not seen any evidence of very bad tummy. Phew.

Thanks for asking too

• Like 2

The op appears to have gone well, she is bright lively and you would have thought that I have never ever fed her before! She has to have the collar on for 10 days and that appears to be upsetting her, she looks like she is depressed by it, not sure whether to leave it on, she hasn't gone to her bottom area at all. ummm 

I have a dog that can't tolerate a cone partly because he's a sensitive princess, but mainly because he's a narrow headed Lurcher, so it doesn't really fit properly. He is a licker of wounds though, so can cause granulomas if left to mither them. I dot some menthol (Vaporub is fine) near the site, which puts him off, leave the collar off, but pop a racing muzzle on him if I have to go out. He can still drink with it on, but not open up the wound.

You might find that he fiddles with it more when it starts to heal and itches.