ajm200

Pekin Bantams

Hi everyone,  

After a couple of years without chickens, we’ve decided to resurrect our MK1 cube and get some new girls in the New Year.  We used to keep free ranging hybrids but don’t fancy having the bumpy mud bath for a lawn any more.   I’m thinking of getting a couple of Pekin Bantams.  They should have lots of room in our larger garden and in the cube with a 3m run.   We keep the chickens as pets so don’t need prolific layers.  

We used to have a little ‘Red Ranger’ hybrid that used to climb by hoping and gliding between pots, composters, etc and would end up on the 6ft fence sometimes - not ideal as we have a busy road behind the fence.

I seem to to recall reading that some bantams are good at getting into trees even with clipped wings and that one particular type is worse than others.    Did I imagine it?  Do any of you have flighty Pekins that can get over a 6ft fence?

thanks

When I first had my first pekins Bernadette did manage to fly up onto our 6’ fence. But I clipped their wings and after that she just seemed to ‘forget’ that she could fly and never escaped over my normal height Omlet fence even though she often went in the roof of the run and could have easily flown out from there. 

The pekin I have at the moment has once flown out over the Omlet fence (was a very calculated, clever flight - she looked up at the top of the fence, looked at me standing on the other side of it, then flew up over the fence and landed at my feet!), and she can fly from the ground up onto a persons shoulder - but I haven’t clipped her wing yet.

Anyway, sorry, that’s a bit waffly! They’re all different but I don’t think most pekins with a clipped wing would attempt a 6’ fence. Please post photos of your new girls when you get them 😀

Thank you.  We intend to clip their feathers to keep them grounded.  Just dread them getting onto the road.   Our Poppy was a tiny hybrid from Omlet who arrived with our cube.  She was a menace for gaining height anyway she could to facilitate her flappy ungainly ‘glide’ to get past her sisters.  She could go quite a distance if food or magpies were involved.    I think their attempts at ariel antics are adorable as long as they are safe.  

Hoping to get the girls in the new year.  The neglected cube needs a bit of work first.  Will post pics 

• Like 1