ajm200

Frustrating weekend ahead

OH promised that if I got the old greenhouse ready, he’d move it this weekend ready to make the new run. I’ve been out there for the last three days in the bitter cold, emptying it out, flat packing  staging and removing the glass that I could reach.  

Took him out to show him and he said “You got a lot done” I asked if we could move it tomorrow and was told “No, I honestly didn’t expect you to get this far so I’ve made other plans now”. 

I’m supposed to be getting more chickens next week so feel really disappointed now.

sharing here as you might understand how I feel.  Rant over 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Beantree said:

Not sure you should have removed any glass ajm200, because that is the main structural strength. Glass should be removed from the top down and fitted from the bottom up.

Hope it's not in a windy spot? If it is can you put some back in?

I know.  Forced to put it all back in again until he has time or I need to get the roof glass out but with balance issues, vertigo and poor eyesight i’m Not keen to climb ladders to handle glass.   

It is in a sheltered spot against a fence on two sides but gets full sun so needs to be moved for chickens. I intend to have a glass roof covered with 80% shade cloth on the finished run. Two ends will remain except where the Eglu pop hole will be.   One long side will be 12 gauge 1” weldmesh held by steel cable ties.  The back wall will be glass but it will painted with shading and against a 6ft fence backed by mature trees.  Will remove a panel or two from it if airflow is an issue.   Will have wood almog the base to hold Woodchip in and will attach it to the frame to help with stability on the weldmesh side.  May bolt wood to the top of that side too if needed 

45 minutes ago, Blackrocksrock said:

Maybe you will be too busy to cook this weekend too!!

Like your thinking but I need him to pay for my three new chickens 

Edited by ajm200

I'm not keen to climb ladders handling glass either ajm200 and I don't have any of your issues. Think it may be something to do with meeting a steel erector many years ago. He fell off the steelwork and went through an allotment greenhouse roof; it took 200 stitches to piece him back together!!!

Here glass roofs are not possible because of the size of the hail stones. I'd use that double layer rigid plastic panelling instead.

😂 your morehens didn’t take long to kick in 😂 Sorry that your OH moved the goalposts on you. That’s a bit unfair and yes very frustrating! If you’re anything like me you’ll be tempted to try to carry on alone (I’ll be laying paving slabs for my girls run extension this weekend) but if you’re struggling with vision and balance please don’t where glass is involved.

If I had my way I’d be building a big run from scratch but he’s holding the purse strings and hidden the power tools.  I have the skills to do it and the determination but then I overdo it and end up really sick and exhausted.   I’m googling weldmesh to decide the best size to get for an 8 ft run with uprights at 2ft intervals and 53inch height.  48 inches would have been sooo easy but no.    Thinking 6 inch timber at the base to keep the Woodchip in and and then I can get away with 8x4 sheets.  

As soon as the greenhouse is in place I can lay slabs, get the weldmesh attached and nag hubby into driving to Dorset to get the chips. 

Hoping to get done in Feb

chickens are reserved.  Pekins again 😊

• Like 1

I didn’t let others stand in my way today.   The staging is down. I cleared the old run area and rescued the slabs for reuse.  Lifted the remaining slabs in the greenhouse.  Loaded the van with a full load of old pots and stuff that had been dumped in the greenhouse. Hubby took it to the tip for me as I’m still not driving on his way to drop DD for a party. 

1 diseased small conifer, a broom, a berry less holly and a rather pathetic rambling rose cut down and dug out

New run area measured and marked out.  Dug half of it out to a depth of 3 inches but had to give in as the soil is surprisingly dry and the wind was whipping it up into my eyes.

Hoping the slabs can go down next weekend and the greenhouse frame can be moved. 

Hubby looked out at all my hard work and said.  “That was a busy day.  Didn’t we do well.”  He’s lucky I’d put the tools away at that point 😂

Really need to do some constructive gardening at some point instead is just digging up and destroying stuff.

Got day lilies, daffodils, tulips bluebells and a few unknown bulbs starting to emerge. 

Edited by ajm200
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like a good day AJM 😀 I too feel a bit like all I’ve done the last few weeks is replace garden with some type of building / structure. However Im done building now (have very sore fingers this evening after building the girls’ run extension) so will be actually gardening from next weekend!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

AJM! You must be nackered!

That’s an understatement.  I ache from head to toe but achieved so much.  Not sure how I managed it.  Think my new meds are working as I’m usually exhausted just thinking about work. I normally do an hour in the garden and a bit of housework then have a nap after lunch.  After 2 years of being poorly I love that I managed 7am TIL dark working. Hope I can keep it up.  The poultry palace will be done on no time if I can

1 hour ago, mullethunter said:

Sounds like a good day AJM 😀 I too feel a bit like all I’ve done the last few weeks is replace garden with some type of building / structure. However Im done building now (have very sore fingers this evening after building the girls’ run extension) so will be actually gardening from next weekend!

Well done in getting your run extension done.  I thought you were just starting the other day. Are you going to post pics?