ajm200

Little birds

When we lost our previous chickens and decided to take a break our garden became over run with magpies.  They have their place in the eco-system but large numbers in the garden soon saw off the little birds (I will never understand why one of the collective terms for magpies is a ‘charm’ - they are far from charming!).  The bird feeders remained full and the smallest bird we saw was a blackbird. 

The chickens mastered scaring them off a week ago and the little birds are returning.

We have two male robins now - lots of fights there.  A female robin (cause of the fights), bluetits checking out the nesting boxes and some sparrows and what I think is a wren.  Sight isn’t good enough to see clearly at the distance needed this am 

I noticed something similar but with cats rather than corvids. As the chickens respond less the cats are coming back and sitting under all the nest sites that have developed. I don't mind the cats because they help control the rats that it amuses our neighbour to encourage but it's a bit sad to see them hunting, especially the sparrows. 

I always chase cats out of the garden.  Cats are lovely but no longer welcome. after my little girl caught toxoplasmosis and lost her sight to it for 3 months.  She recovered thankfully but with extensive retinal scaring so we never want a repeat of it.

i hate seeing the magpies creeping along the bottom of the shrubs listening for baby birds.  They get chased off too.

Had advice today on putting electrical fencing around the perimeter of the garden so that will be a plan for later in the summer 

• Like 1

We have a big garden and the wild birds are fed well away from the cube.  It’s just the cheeky robin who sneaks into the run for a snack.  Maybe the new products under development should include the option for wire with smaller holes to keep the rates and small birds out.  

We have a rat problem at the end of our close - several of my neighbours have reported seeing them and they've been at our compost heap (we trapped on in there with a snappy rat trap.) We don't compost peelings/organic food waste now and have had to remove the bird feeders too. I have put a peanut butter filled one (bird butter!) out though as it doesn't scatter bits and so feed the vermin too.