Sharon76

Bantam or hybrid egg?

Hi,

Please help me figure out who an egg has come from. We have 4 hens that started laying nearly two weeks ago.  Below are the three eggs we got today, and the one at the top is a medium egg from Aldi. 

Pretty sure the large one in the dish with the very thin shell is the large Bluebell as it was laid this evening on top of the eglu and she was still standing above it when I found it. The little white-ish egg is presumable one of the pekin's as there was a similar one yesterday after she was in the eglu.  The other light brown egg could have come from the other brown Pekin, or the Barton Blue hybrid, which is meant to be a blue egg layer (this hen has white patches on the cheeks which I think mean white eggs?) 

Which do you think?  Seems big for a bantam, but definitely not blue? 

Do you think it is OK that the Bluebell keeps laying soft shelled eggs after nearly 2 weeks, on the roof of the eglu? And isn't dusk a funny time to lay one? They've had oyster grit and mixed grit available since got them 6 weeks ago. 

Thanks!

IMG_20190527_201346.jpg

My pekin lays eggs not unlike your mystery one, and one of my now deceased pekins laid eggs like the small white one so they are clearly pretty variable. I’d say it’s probably a pekin egg rather than a hybrid but wouldn’t swear to it.

Dusk isn’t necessarily a strange time to lay. Again my pekin seems to have an egg cycle of around 16 hours, so she’ll lay at breakfast time on day one, lunch time on day two, afternoon on day three, evening on day four and then a day off on day five.

The thin shell isn’t great but some hens do seem to be prone to this - as your others are making good shells you’re obviously feeding them well enough, but some sort of poultry tonic might help her.

Probably a Bantam egg.  If it’s thin shelled it could be the age of the hen.  Thin shelled gags are the reason egg producers get rid of hens when they reach about 18 months old.  Not sure about the soft shelled eggs but laying in the evening not unusual. 

Edited by Patricia W

Unusual colour for a Bluebelle, they usually produce a pinkish beige coloured egg. I would add some Mineral Boost Powder to their feed, and drizzle a teeny bit of cod liver oil onto their pellets first - this will help the powder to stick, and the D3 in the oil will help them to assimilate the calcium too. If it still keeps happening, and you have wormed them recently with Flubenvet, then it is a bird problem rather than down to diet or worms.