patsylabrador

Jinbei

Screenshot_20190624_211741.thumb.jpg.887e3cbb2bc355bdc52a2a0dea8bfdae.jpg

Thought you'd like to see this little jinbei. Jinbei is a sort of traditional summer clothing in Japan for almost everyone. For bigger people it looks a bit like pyjamas but I love this little romper suit. I haven't shown his face because of privacy but he is delightful. He has the most amazing big deep anime eyes. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

Baby or the outfit? 🤣

Not fussed - either would be lovely ;)! With a stroppy teenager (14.5) and a stroppy teenager in training (11) I often think back to those wonderful under 5's days. Shame I was generally too knackered to fully appreciate it all!

PL, are these made from cotton or linen? It's my impression that the Japanese still value their traditions rather more than we do?  

I'm sure they're cotton. Tradition seems to be in everything they do even with the young ones. It's not mocked. Bowing instead of handshakes, not wearing shoes indoors even in some pubs I've had to take my shoes off before going in. There are little festivals going on all the time to give thanks for various things. In hotels that have spas, the jinbei and slippers are provided to go to the spa. You're not allowed to wear them in the restaurant or outside but everywhere else people are wandering around in them. It's relaxed but respectful. 

It sounds like just the sort of society where you know, very reassuringly, exactly where you are with everyone! OH spent 2 weeks in Japan going back a few years and found the whole 'respect' thing really very touching and civilized. I think that some of the western societies have just lost all of that :sad:

However, I'm sure that I'd look like a superannuated Teletubbie in one  - it does rather look as though you can only get away with a jinbei if you are under 2 years old or tall and very willowy!

• Like 1

Harry (ハリ-) is modelling the baby style. The adult style is more like capri trousers with a loose fitting top. The sort of traditional clothes you see Asian people wear on the street. I think I should find a picture, the image you're conjuring is too funny for me! 

Here you go. I'm laughing at the image of a salary man wearing the baby version. That's made me very happy. 

Screenshot_20190625_162328.jpg

Think Tinky Winky - my handbag is about the same size :$ But, yes please, a picture would be good. I'm assuming that its a more informal garment (possibly the Japanese equivalent of  trackies and a t shirt!?) Is 'traditional Japanse dress worn much? I've seen pics of the new Emperor and his family and it seems as though the ladies are in kimonos whilst the men are in western style suits. Do men wear kimonos under the same circumstances as our chaps would wear dinner jackets?

They look really stylish.

I HATE tracksuits (unless worn while doing sport). I appreciate that they’re comfy but HATE HATE HATE them. OHs daughter (20) can’t understand how I can wear jeans (which are what I live in when not at work) around the house / evenings etc and be comfy but I am! 

Sorry - rant over - and everyone who’s cosy on their sofa in their trackies just ignore me 🤣

Ooooh, yes, totally agree with MH - very natty. And looks super comfy too. Not Teletubbyish at all! Thanks for the pic, PL, glad to raise a smile!

I have just looked on E Bay but they only have children's ones in UK.....we've had a number of bad experienced buying from China previously. I'll keep an eye out.

Edited by soapdragon
doh!

4 hours ago, soapdragon said:

Think Tinky Winky - my handbag is about the same size :$ But, yes please, a picture would be good. I'm assuming that its a more informal garment (possibly the Japanese equivalent of  trackies and a t shirt!?) Is 'traditional Japanse dress worn much? I've seen pics of the new Emperor and his family and it seems as though the ladies are in kimonos whilst the men are in western style suits. Do men wear kimonos under the same circumstances as our chaps would wear dinner jackets?

In my experience I've only seen men in Western style apart from my son at his wedding who wore traditional Japanese robes. They have a specific name but I can't remember it. I've seen women in kimonos in all sorts of situations including travelling on the tube. But there is a very specific Japanese style of dressing. It's all about good manners. You don't walk about flashing the flesh and leggings are viewed as underwear.