Luvachicken

Dirty knickers and softies

So Lily was poorly recently and the vet gave her Baytril which seemed to do the trick for a chest infection.

She still doesn't seem quite right but I can't put my finger on it.

I'm pretty certain she has been laying softies for a while but she now has dirty bottom feathers - not the worst amount ever, but dirty even so.

What is the best way to help her ?

She is eating and drinking and they are due for a worming soon.

Problem with antibiotics is the wreck the digestive flora, so whilst she appears to be eating she won't be digesting much and her poo will be sloppy. I'd give her a dose of Avipro Avian Luvachicken. Takes a week before you will notice any change, but it's something we use quite a lot.

Thanks Beantree,

Do you think it could be the after effects of the antibiotics then even though she had them for the week of 25th June ?

She must have done a super messy poop soon after I'd got in from work.

I tried to use baby wipes but they were useless, so in the bath she went.

She seemed to quite like it and she didn't actually take that long to dry with the cool hairdryer.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mullethunter said:

Maybe try beryls bacteria

Oh yes, had that before......stinky stuff.

Earlier I just went to get my pot of Avipro Avian only to find the pot totally empty, and, if there had been anything left, it ran out in 2016.

Thank goodness hubby has Amazon Prime. If the Avipro doesn't work I'll get Beryl's formula.

I know it's been hot today but she has had her beak open a lot. I really hope there isn't anything wrong.

31 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

She's probably just struggling to keep cool. 

Yes, she is a lot more fluffy than the others, and even they are pretty fluffy.

So today I checked on them early and thought the worst because she wasn't out with the others. She was actually in the egg box - although nothing happened.

I joked with hubby that she could do with a fan and when I popped in at lunchtime he had put a tiny fan in, the only one he could find, I'm not joking but when I went to see her she was stood in front of the fan with her feathers gently wafting. I checked on her before I left to go back to work and she was still there. Just so sweet.

So tonight, barmy person that I am, set off to B and Q to get them a bit bigger fan.

I just hope they don't start clucking at it at 5:15 tomorrow morning. 

Sadly Lily died earlier this morning :-(

I checked on her at 7:15 and she was very sleepy and not at all interested in any drink.

I tucked her back in the broody cage with fan and she just fell deeper and deeper into sleep until she was gone.

Such a big, powder puff of feathers.

I should have known dirty knickers are not a good sign.

I am sorry to hear that - I think there was something more seriously wrong with her - they are very good at disguising health issues.

52 minutes ago, Luvachicken said:

I should have known dirty knickers are not a good sign.

They aren't necessarily that serious, and it's usually just a case of treating the symptoms (what you can see) and hoping for the best.

52 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

I am sorry to hear that - I think there was something more seriously wrong with her - they are very good at disguising health issues.

Thanks DM, yes, they must be.

I have been checking her most days since she was given the antibiotics and couldn't see anything obvious.

Thank you for your wishes.

It is quiet with just 3 of them.

Lily was a gobby little madam at times and Polly was always petrified of her.

I'm not sure I will get any more girls for a while though.

This last introduction was very stressful for Gemma and Polly and I don't think it would be fair on them to do it again.

• Thanks 1