Ursula123

Clotted Cream

Living in France , I can't buy it anywhere and being from Devon it is one of the things I miss.

So with this in mind I am having a go at making my own in the slow cooker, I have sourced raw milk and it is set to cook for 12 hours on low.

My MIL told me to cook it on low in the oven overnight but the temps here are still in the late 20's so didn't want to add to the warmth in the house.

If you have any tips or tricks I would be most grateful but most of all keep your fingers crossed that by this time tomorrow I will be enjoying a scone and cream ( cream first then jam ) I am from Devon after all :D

• Thanks 1

What you want is a nice crust to form on top....OH's aunt used to make it on their dairy farm in Devon (Stoke Fleming!) and he grew up with lashings of clotted cream ...... I fear for his arteries but there you go! Keep us posted; keen to know how you get on. Seemingly it's the right temp over the right period of time but that may well require trial and error.

When staying on the farm they (OH and brother) used to eat clotted cream and golden syrup together spread on bread; it was known as thunder and lightening; medical term = heart attack!

Thanks for asking MH

Attempt 1 slow cooker on 'warm' setting - thin crust on top of milk with a little cream. 

Attempt 2 slow cooker on 'low ' setting - no cream or crust, I think it was too warm

My next attempt will be in the oven when the outside temps drop a bit. I am determined to make it but I think it is going to be trial and error. 

I looooooove clotted cream - tried to make it before on the top of the hob, but I should have put it in the oven.  This guy is really good - done a few of his recipes so have yet to try making my own.  OH is trying to source milk for his cheese making - so we are on course for a lot more DIY goodies!

His lordship went on a course a couple of years ago, loved it and carried on, but actually learnt more from an Australian fellow on Youtube!  He made allsorts but discovered normal shop bought wasn't good enough, but luckily a local farm produced the perfect milk.  I liked his Camembert/brie soft cheeses best.  He did make Edam complete with wax.  I was clearing wax out of the kitchen and cooker for many months after that!  So he was banned from waxing.  His Gouda was quite nice.  We even had a wine fridge which is great for cheese processing.  But since he had a heart attack, they told him that he wasn't allowed to eat cheese.  So that was the end of that.  But since he has been discharged, he is allowed cheese but in moderation - he can have more soft cheese than hard.  So later this year he will start again.  Heaven help the kitchen!  I have noticed when I'm away, he plays in the kitchen.  When he's away I clean the kitchen!