mullethunter

Oven dried tomatoes

We halved them (they were cherry toms) put them on an oven tray on a very low setting overnight to dehydrate as much as possible then put them into  sterilised kilner jars and topped up with extra virgin olive oil (Lidl!) Still not a rip roaring success so the following year we just made passatta from our glut and that's what we'll do again this year!

Hi

I use a Delia recipe (I think this is it https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/preserves/preserved-dried-tomatoes ).

I use general veg oil - as taste of olive oil gets lost with concentrated tom flavour.

I sterilise glass jars with lots of boiling water and/or in the microwave - same as I would for pickles.

I use multiple small jars, rather than one large jar - just in case - store in fridge once opened.

Toms keep for months - if not a year or more - only once had a problem with mould (think it was because a tom was protruding above the surface of the oil)

H

I’ve finally got around to harvesting and a load and have made Hugh Fernley-what’s-his-names slow roast tomato passata. I’ve put it in the freezer but the bit I tasted was delicious.

My tomatoes were Tigarella, Black Russian and Gardeners Delight. My revi w of those three varieties would be:

Tigarella: very vigorous (to the point of taking over the greenhouse) producing tons of medium sized fruit which ripen well, but a bit disappointing in flavour - just a bit watery.

Black Russian: big plants with large attractive flowers and huge fruits. Not many have ripened but the ones that have are really meaty and flavourful - a single fruit kept me in tomato on toast for 3 days.

Gardeners Delight: everyone knows these - brilliant flavour cherry tomatoes but plants have been a bit smothered by the other two varieties.

• Like 1

:dance: to you, MH! My toms are mostly still green and I picked a load earlier in the week as cold night time temps were forecast and I didn't want to lose them - they are taking their chances out on the patio in growbags as we don't have a greenhouse! All now sitting on the window sill. Ailsa Craig and plum toms ('breed' unspecified!) They will be bound for the passatta pot in due course. Luckilly I am watering for two neighbours who are away for three weeks and have told me to help myself to what is ripe on the toms front so hoping for a freezer busting amount!

• Thanks 1

I tried a new variety called Sun Dried Tomatoes - supposed to hang them in the shade although they wrinkle naturally on the vine on the plant.  I rather like them as they are quite fleshy, but there is the danger of tasting an overripe yuk one.  Interesting, but I think they'd add much more bulk to the passata as they aren't as watery.  I also have Black Russian and Tigerellas which go into the oven with garlic and olive oil and slow roasted - ooh and our herbs - then through the machine.  OH has used some for tomato sauce and that is super!  But as I'm experimenting with toms, they all go into the mix, but the ones that really seem to make the flavour yum, are the Sungolds.  

Oh and the Sun Dried toms are monsters that need taming.  Actually all the tomatoes went crazy and sent side shoots off from every place imaginable!  

• Like 1

:lol:  Obviously a man thing - that's what I have to do when OH goes away.  He's away in Florida as of yesterday - earworm . . . everybody dance now!  I can't see how he splashes stuff everywhere!  It's slap slop sploosh.  Arghhhhh!  So kitchen is part done, but cleaned the bathroom and prepping for my mum staying over on Monday for a mini holiday while the weather is nice - I hope it stays like it!

I’m growing sungold and a mini plum (can’t remember the name) plus a heritage cheery type that a fellow plot holder gave me. All in the greenhouse as it’s new to me this year... the Heritage variety have dark marks around the stalks and are so sweet!! 

I usually make tomato sauce and freeze it and a couple of small jars of Nigella’s moon blush tomatoes- which I pop into sterilised jars and top up with olive oil. 

A14D981C-A3BF-42A5-A834-C065411EFCAE.jpeg

• Like 1

Don't they look lovely in the bowl together. :D  We probably have enough passata to open a shop - so the next thing is to pick the smaller tomatoes and pop them in to freeze individually so that we can use them in things like frittatas any old time.  Or a curry!  Not growing so many next year - will concentrate more on peppers and aubergines.  I'll still have plenty of toms even so.  I kind of went crazy with the space, but with stored stuff I won't need to, maybe rotate more peppers next year and then toms and then peppers again.

Maybe chop and freeze and use a fraction if you are making chilli for dinner.  But remember to label it because I thought I was chucking in red peppers to empty our freezer and they weren't red peppers as such - no label (thank you OH) and we had quite a humdinger dinner.  We sang a Johnny Cash song for a while after that.  On the bright side - no more chillies in the freezer!  That was years ago.

• Haha 1