The Dogmother

AI - first outbreak for 2019

Bird flu detected at farm in Suffolk

https://f7td5.app.goo.gl/WTMRvG

Be vigilant, keep your eyes on the DEFRA site for alerts.  Keep your flock healthy and stress-free. Use Viratec P to disinfect boots, feeders and drinkers.  Make sure that your run has a clear, waterproof cover, so you can get your birds under cover pronto if needed. This run must more than big enough to accommodate all your birds.

• Thanks 1

If you look on the DEFRA site, there are signs and symptoms listed there.  The important thing is to protect your birds from contamination and contact with waterfowl. Prepare your run so that they can be accommodated when we have a lock down.

They will be spending extra time in the run, so you will need to stock up on ground sanitising powder and Aubiose to allow for the extra mucking out.

Make sure that the sides are protected as well Hellis. My runs have clear tarps which extend down the sides; prevents water ingress, but also the possibility of any wild bird droppings getting in. TBH my runs have these covers on all year.

Folks, do make sure that you keep separate footwear for the garden and don't wear it off-site.... say, for walking the dogs. I often walk along rivers or on wetlands, so have boots in the car, which don't get used at home.

Handy map to refer to:

https://defra.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=8cb1883eda5547c6b91b5d5e6aeba90d

I spent Monday trying to lash down the tarps on the run.  Nightmare weather here.  Bungees rip off, cable ties rip off, plastic is ripping off and so are the tarps shredding.  It's quite depressing to keep trying to keep it leak free.  I think if we had corrugated sheeting that would be in Dorset by now.  

Edict from on high.....

It has been confirmed by the Chief Veterinary Officer that Low Pathogenic Avian Influenza (LPAI) is present in the UK.

An outbreak has occurred at a broiler breeder unit in Suffolk housing 27,000 birds:

·      Defra has confirmed a case of H5 LPAI in a 27,000 broiler breeder unit in Suffolk. This is the first case of notifiable AI in a commercial poultry flock in the UK since 13th February 2017

·      The birds will be culled on site in the coming days

·      Defra has put in place a 1km LPAI Restricted Zone

·     The Declaration and map can be accessed here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/851328/declaration-of-low-path-RZ-IP1-RZ.pdf

·     The only clinical signs were a drop in egg production.  Mortality is at normal levels and birds’ feed and water consumption was normal.  Reduced egg production has subsequently spread to all sheds on site

·     The epidemiological investigation is ongoing.  Initial thoughts are that this is a spill-over from wild birds 

·     Defra have issued a press notice available on gov.uk

·     Public Health England have confirmed that the public health risk is very low and the occupational health risk is low, but are providing advice to anyone that has come into contact with the birds

·     This is the first case of AI in commercial poultry since 13/02/17 (HP H5N8). The last case in poultry in the UK was in a backyard flock on 03/06/17 (these two cases were part of the 13 cases of H5N8 in the December 2016-June 2017 outbreak)

Well I guess we have less egg production.  Of the 4 young banties only one is laying every other 2 days.  The big girls, well Inga the Evil stopped laying months ago, Dusty started a long moult which has suddenly increased to bare bot and neck so not laid for a while.  Then there's Frida who still lays every other day in spite of being semi-nekkid!  She had the odd little bit moulting and, like Dusty, shook herself and WOOOOOFFFFF all the feathers came out!  

Other than that the wild birds are in fine fettle!