Keely G

Chicken with one eye closed

Hi everyone. I’m new to the forum and I am hoping for some advice. I have a 9 month old Silkie with one eye permanently closed and a sore throat. She has had a thorough check over from the vets - no infections, no sign of trauma, no respiratory issues. She was put on a 5 day course of anti inflam in the hope that she would open her eye, but she hasn't. She is eating and drinking, albeit slowly as she is struggling with her aim. She stands around and doesn't scratch for food, so looks sad, but perks up when I come in and suddenly looks well and alert. She is preening and has just taken a dust bath. She has been wormed and has apple cider vinegar in her water. No idea what to do or if this is the end of the road for her. She hasn't started laying yet. Any ideas? I don't want her to be in pain

Certainly doesn't sound like the end of the road at the moment Keely G. If the vet can't find anything physically wrong she can't be in pain. The sore throat puzzles me? How can you tell that she has one? I'm not a vet, but if she is unable to open her eye it may be neurological; perhaps something causing pressure on a nerve?

Thanks Beantree, I have just had her back to the vet. She has a painful larynx and it is making her swallow a lot. The vet still cant find anything wrong with the eye and doesn't think it is causing her pain, so she is now on a 10 day course of anti inflam and Baytril. Let's see how she goes...

I hope she gets better soon.

I have had a couple of eye things with my girls. One cleared up with antibiotics - she had bubbles in her eye and made a good recovery.

Sadly another one didn't open her eye at all and her face got very swollen. The vet thought she had a black eye from one of the others to start with but sadly she had to be PTS.

I think Dogmother's idea of getting a second opinion is a good idea.

If you're not sure exactly what is going on with her:

1. treat the symptoms, so what you can see; bathe the eye with cold black tea, which is antiseptic and soothing

2. get her to a chicken-savvy vet, who is able to give a satisfactory answer to what is going on. It sounds to me like the eye will need antibiotic drops or ointment.

We've only had one eye problem which was thought to be grass seed; once removed it resolved itself. Bubbles in the eye can be Mycoplasma, which many chickens carry but never show any symptoms. The only sore throat problems we've had were caused by a parasite called Trichomonas Gallinae and shows up as cheesy material in spots in the throat; treated with Flagyl successfully in several cases. Something else carried which shows up when their immune system is depressed.

I also think a second opinion is worthwhile.