Tricky78

Hens for beginner

Size and number wise - perfect - great choice. I have three Dutch bantams in my flock. They’re lovely little birds and seem fairly hardy and very healthy, and they’re actually not bad layers - one is laying now and the other two don’t look far off - their eggs are pretty tiny though. Mine are fairly flighty and not overly keen on people - that said I’ve made very little effort to handle them and I can pick up one of them if she’s got her head in some corn and they will all eat from my hand.

They’re definitely not a bad choice for a ‘starter hen’, but if you want really friendly bantams for your children you can’t beat pekins - you just have to make sure their feathery feet won’t get wet and muddy.

Photo is my Dutch girls with my Pekin all sunbathing together 🥰

6483AC92-DC9E-4BED-9612-307703098645.jpeg

9 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

Personally I would wait a month before buying any young-stock; the early hatches in the year don't necessarily produce the strongest birds.

The lady selling those said the photos were older and the hens were 20 weeks now. Is that too young?

The hens on the first photo definitely aren’t Dutch bantams. The second does show Dutch bantams. 

They are cheeky little hens and mine have been very friendly and one would sneak in the house at night to roost on my lap. My absolute favourite hen by far.

I have a Go Up with two Dutch bantams (one fairly large and one average size) and one New Hampshire bantam. And that space is fine for that breed. They love roosting high though, so add a perch halfway up the run and they will love it.

I agree, they look a bit of a mixed bag to me, which is fine if that's what you want. I wouldn't expect to be paying pure breed prices for them, that's all.

Make sure that you do a thorough health check on each bird before buying it;you can expect them to be small and a bit on the skinny side if they are still young, but reject anything which feels to light, has no discernible muscle alongside the breastbone and check also for lice. This is one of the first things that I teach as it's important to buy good, strong stock and not inherit any problems.

Their environment looks clean enough.

11 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

I agree, they look a bit of a mixed bag to me, which is fine if that's what you want. I wouldn't expect to be paying pure breed prices for them, that's all.

Make sure that you do a thorough health check on each bird before buying it;you can expect them to be small and a bit on the skinny side if they are still young, but reject anything which feels to light, has no discernible muscle alongside the breastbone and check also for lice. This is one of the first things that I teach as it's important to buy good, strong stock and not inherit any problems.

Their environment looks clean enough.

The lady is only asking £10 per hen and I’m travelling 2hrs this Sunday to see them.

Thanks for the advice and tips, she seems to know what she’s talking about so hoping all is above board.

I have stuffed 4 in there at some time, makes them less likely to slip around too. They look like small enough bantams to fit in a cat carrier. I currently have one large bantam, one medium sized and one small and they fit fine together.

I have discovered it’s also good for bonding chickens who are unfamiliar with each other.

10 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

I have stuffed 4 in there at some time, makes them less likely to slip around too. They look like small enough bantams to fit in a cat carrier. I currently have one large bantam, one medium sized and one small and they fit fine together.

I have discovered it’s also good for bonding chickens who are unfamiliar with each other.

Great, thanks very much.

Is it best to cover the carrier with a blanket?

32 minutes ago, Tricky78 said:

Great, thanks very much.

I wouldn’t, it will jus limit ventilation. Pop in the trunk of the car (unless you have a closed trunk) or on the floor, to keep them in the dark. Remember that some hens have loose poo, so maybe keep a towel under and around it. This also is some thing to keep in mind when using cardboard.

1 hour ago, Cat tails said:

Great, thanks very much.

Thanks for the replies, we're going to see the hens on Sunday.

Cat carriers are perfect for carrying little hens in and I would think 3 (if you manage to stick to that amount) will be just fine.

I brought 3 Pekin chicks home in one and they were fine.

I just popped the cat carrier on the floor behind the driver's seat so it wouldn't fall anywhere. They still had ventilation and didn't need covering.

Some chooks will just fall asleep anyway.

A towel is fine inside the base or if you have any spare puppy training pads, one of those will do too.

Personally, I would go for Pekins, but then I am biased - I've had them for 7 and a half years now.

Have a safe journey when you go to get them, the weather is meant to be awful on Sunday xx