Cat tails

Not so accidental new chickens...

18 minutes ago, mullethunter said:

How odd that they weren’t asleep in the middle of the night 

Exactly! Never had that happen before! And their scuffles were so loud that it woke me up. Never had much of a bond with Pickwick anyway and completely healed from ever owning a gold partridge of anything. As this was technically Pickwick2 as I traded her for her look-a-like Pickwick. 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Luvachicken said:

Maybe one chicken bumped into another as it turned around, and the other didn't like it - much like being in my bed when someone else takes all the covers.

Hopefully you are talking about your husband Luvachicken :(

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Luvachicken said:

Maybe one chicken bumped into another as it turned around, and the other didn't like it - much like being in my bed when someone else takes all the covers.

Must be something like that, but it happened a number of times this week.

2 minutes ago, Ursula123 said:

Hopefully you are talking about your husband Luvachicken :(

😂

As I lost Babs last Spring, I’m down to 3 chickens. And as we will be in lockdown for another 4 weeks, I think I’ll add another 2 to my little flock. 
I really do want another Barnevelder bantam as Babs was a stunning hen. But I’m really torn what to choose as a second. I was thinking to add another small bantam to buddy up with Merel the Dutch bantam. So either a Chabo or Sebright. But the place also sells Araucana...

Anyone a clue about the broodiness of these breeds?

I don’t reckon Sebrights would be very broody although I don’t have any experience of them. I know they’re tiny and very pretty though. Araucana bantams are quite a lot bigger - more like the size of a barnevelder bantam and obviously lay blue eggs. Mine have never been broody, but maybe I’ve just been lucky with them 🤷‍♀️

• Thanks 1

I am considering the smaller breeds like Chabo, Sebright and Serama to give Merel a similar sized buddy. Sadly they don’t stock Dutch bantams anymore. I know Araucana are bigger, but the green/blue eggs do appeal, although the Araucana in the Netherlands are all rumpless I think. 
I’ll give them a ring tomorrow to see what they actually have in stock right now.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 4:39 PM, Luvachicken said:

I love the way you casually throw the 'someone else' in there, Luvvie 🤣. Is that a particular 'someone'? I have visions of a man in a black and white striped top with an eye mask and sack marked 'swag' breaking in to nick your duvet!!

13 minutes ago, soapdragon said:

I love the way you casually throw the 'someone else' in there, Luvvie 🤣. Is that a particular 'someone'? I have visions of a man in a black and white striped top with an eye mask and sack marked 'swag' breaking in to nick your duvet!!

:lol:

Indeed, the 'only someone' in my bed - hubby.

But he really is a duvet snatcher. I have it all tucked in and then he rolls over and takes it with him. He can't do it so much at the moment as I have a heavy blanket on my half of the duvet.

Back to @Cat tails post though, I have been looking up what the chickens look like that she might like and came across a fabulous place that sells Pekins........... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cat tails said:

DO IT!!! You deserve new chickens!

Yes ........but, I do worry about Gemma.

The chicks picked on her an awful lot last time.

I could separate the run for a while and then hope for good introductions late on in the autumn when days start to get shorter again.

Only thing is, where I'm looking, sells vaccinated hens and mine aren't vaccinated. They are also £35 each 😮 but they do deliver :wink: (for another fee)

21 minutes ago, Luvachicken said:

Yes ........but, I do worry about Gemma.

The chicks picked on her an awful lot last time.

I could separate the run for a while and then hope for good introductions late on in the autumn when days start to get shorter again.

Only thing is, where I'm looking, sells vaccinated hens and mine aren't vaccinated. They are also £35 each 😮 but they do deliver :wink: (for another fee)

If you get younger chicks, they’ll be less likely to boss over Gemma. Little 12 week old cheepers are more easily impressed than POL’s.

I know chickens are expensive right now. The 12 week olds I got last year were €25 and unvaccinated.

7 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

If you get younger chicks, they’ll be less likely to boss over Gemma. Little 12 week old cheepers are more easily impressed than POL’s.

But they were younger chicks when I introduced them :sad:

The three older ones I had at the time, were terrified of the chicks. One even developed a limp for a while, for doing super fast getaways.

35 minutes ago, Girly said:

They look lovely. Hope they all settle down now.  Shame about Pickwick, but needs must! 

Well I’ve had them for almost a year now! They settle down fine. Although Gerda is still a scaredy-cat.

30 minutes ago, Luvachicken said:

But they were younger chicks when I introduced them :sad:

The three older ones I had at the time, were terrified of the chicks. One even developed a limp for a while, for doing super fast getaways.

😳
Maybe your hens need some self defence classes! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lewis said:

What did you settle on CT?

Serama might be a bit small but I love our Araucana crosses, especially for green eggs!

Have to wait a bit longer. Seller is waiting on the breeder and will have some new chicks in February. Think I will just decide on the day for the second breed, but definitely getting a Barnevelder.

He has some cochins (which are pekins) and silkies in stock, but definitely not looking for those!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lewis said:

Cochins (in the UK) look like giant Pekins but are different breeds - in America I think they have Large Fowl and Bantam Cochins.

Hmmm, that's interesting.

Do you  think I may have been sold Cochins as Pekins, because some of my girls have been quite small compared to some of my others, which have been pretty big, but still have the fluffy feet ?