Cat tails

Not so accidental new chickens...

So I got myself three new cheepers!

One New Hampshire bantam, who is giving my other hens a run for their money. One brown Wyandotte, who is investigating the whole run. And one little cheeping silver laced barnevelder bantam, who is still rather impressed by it all and hiding in the cat box.

81CC626D-F4A0-4621-8284-0E36B9CAC18A.jpeg

1831B584-5F22-4763-9188-B244AC97BEF2.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soapdragon said:

What brought that on then? Love your silver girl's colouring; so pretty!

Well lost Ginger last week and down to only 2 hens. Which I don’t find ideal.

So found a seller and got me some hens! Well for now they are the Cheepers. Although the red New Hampshire hen is far from cheeping anymore and a bit of a madam! The brown wyandotte was screaming her lungs out when we tried to get her. The little Barnevelder is very timid so far, but also quite a bit younger than the other two. 
I’m going to stick them in the coop tonight after dark, set my alarm and hope for the best. 🤞🏻
(Don’t tell Dogmother! 🤭)

She is supposed to lay darker brown eggs, opposed to the light brown eggs you normally get. And technically lay all winter according to the breeder, but not sure if she knows that too! 

The breeder literally had two pens full of barnevelders. They also had Dutch bantams, but they were absolutely tiny. Too small to stick in with larger birds to my opinion. They had one New Hampshire left, so took her together with a wyandotte from the same pen, although had younger wyandottes. 

Will get some more photos tomorrow. Just stuck them in with the big girls and hoping for the best tomorrow.

So far so good. Some chasing and some rearing, but have filled the run with obstacles, so the little ones can evade and hide. They have 4 food stations and 3 water points. Had to lift the little baby barnevelder from the coop and put her on a perch for a bit, so she could just observe the rest for a bit. But even she got of her perch and is now exploring.

Pickwick has been yelling her head off though, but hope she will settle down at some point.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 5:18 PM, Cat tails said:

Well lost Ginger last week and down to only 2 hens. Which I don’t find ideal.

So found a seller and got me some hens! Well for now they are the Cheepers. Although the red New Hampshire hen is far from cheeping anymore and a bit of a madam! The brown wyandotte was screaming her lungs out when we tried to get her. The little Barnevelder is very timid so far, but also quite a bit younger than the other two. 
I’m going to stick them in the coop tonight after dark, set my alarm and hope for the best. 🤞🏻
(Don’t tell Dogmother! 🤭)

Haha... B U S T E D!!!!

You thought you'd sneak them in while I was busy all day, didn't you?

Pretty girls and the silver barney is especially fine.

Shame that you are so far away - I have a spare Classic and any number of large dog crates for newbies and sick bay cases.

😇

Would have been better to have an extra coop, but my garden isn’t very big. Well actually very small... and I would probably come home with even more hens...

So far they are all doing well. They do struggle with going to bed in the coop. The big ones weren’t really letting them in. So plucked the baby barny out of the cat box, and the other two from a perch and stuffed them all in.

Had a bit of a snuggle with the cheeping baby, who needed a bit more reassurance.

Probably is a Wyandotte CT. At that age the rose comb will be almost nothing and doesn't get that large later. All of ours are wary, even though they are 10 years old now and we hatched and reared them; just a potential Wyandotte trait in my experience. We did have two 'lemon' Wyandottes, so from a completely different breeding line and they were very friendly, except to other chickens!

They were advertised as being friendly cuddle chickens, but I never believe such a thing...

It’s just that the feathers on her head remind me much more of crested cream legbars. Which I wouldn’t mind her being, but they didn’t sell those their. But time will tell I guess...

After two nights in a cat box in the living room, I decided to bring Pickwick back to the petting zoo where I got her from in 2018. 

A few nights ago I had to wrangle some angry chickens at 00:30 in the dark, because Pickwick was fighting with the others in the closed coop. Strangely enough the tussle was mostly between Pickwick and Merel, my to existing chickens. She was waking up half the neighbourhood with her screeches and flapping. So I kept her in the living room at night. Luckily the farm was perfectly willing to take her back. The guy stuck her in with another hen he had sitting alone and the little witch immediately started fighting the other hen in HER coop. The cheek!

My little group of 4 is now much more relaxed as Merel isn’t on her toes the whole time and just pottering about together.