eggysoldiers

Bantam taming tips

Hello lovely forum peeps.

Natalie, Emily and Martie (the Dixie chicks) are settling in well. They seem to have a favourite spot for dust bathing when they are out free ranging. I’m still debating if I fit a trug in the run for a permanent dust bath. There’s still a bit of pecking order jostling but all seems harmonious. They are quite bold coming up to you, Martie tried to steal my gin, but I’d love tips and tricks for getting them used to being handled, basically being cuddly 🤣

Also, when should I switch their feed?

Thanks

688003A8-92AE-4574-A782-9795AB979672.jpeg

They will settle done more once they started laying.

Not all hens will become cuddly chickens. I’ve had some screeching banshees in the past. And Gerda my Wyandotte (aka Trump chicken) will scream bloody murder if I even point a finger in her direction! When I need to handle her, I physically keep her beak closed, to muffle the screaming... 😒

A few treats always do help, start feeding from you hand and just let them get used to you.

I switched mine over today. Two out the three new ones are laying. But the madams are far from impressed by the layer pellets... 🙄

Keep them on growers until they come into lay.

Like the Classic - that and the mark 1 cube are the best housing Omlet ever made :) Tip for you - if you get a clear shower curtain and some of those press in eyelets from outdoor stores, you can trim the curtain so that it fits the funnel shape of the run and fix it in place with bungee hooks. Keep the opaque cover for when it gets very sunny.

• Like 1

Thanks both.

i am loving the classic. And the purple too!! 

will a clear shower curtain be ok during sunshine or should I whip it off for that. Don’t want to boil the chooks 🙈 The weather was gorgeous here, but has now turned!!

will try feeding treats from my hand. 

Loving the description of Gerda screaming, that had me laughing Cat tails.

Will keep them on growers, that’s a relief the bag of growers is still very full! Have noticed their combs are a bit redder and their little wattles more prominent than when they arrived but still a way off eggs I suspect.

thankyou!! 

14 minutes ago, eggysoldiers said:

will a clear shower curtain be ok during sunshine or should I whip it off for that. Don’t want to boil the chooks 🙈 The weather was gorgeous here, but has now turned!!

will try feeding treats from my hand. 

I leave clear tarps on my runs all year round (this is England.... we get a fair bit of rain) and just add a clear tarp, or opened out feed sack when it is sunny and the run gets warm.

Just sprinkle some treats in front of you, sit down and wait for them to come to you - it's a bit like training dogs

27 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

Just sprinkle some treats in front of you, sit down and wait for them to come to you - it's a bit like training dogs

Or, indeed, children!

I used to balance treats on my shoes....worked beautifully to begin with (and with Casserole and Kiev) but then had to put up with Korma forever 'attacking' my feet whenever I went outside! A typical example of non joined up thinking!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, eggysoldiers said:

Loving the description of Gerda screaming, that had me laughing Cat tails.

Just had to wrangle an escaped bunch of chickens back in their run. And my neighbour came out checking if I was alright, because the screaming was quite unsettling...😅  luckily the screaming of Gerda scared the rest enough to run back into the run themselves!