sparkysmum

Chickenless

Well for the first time in 12 years I have no hens. My last 2 passed away yesterday.  Wee ex commercial hens. Both had abdominal masses and I'd probably kept them for longer than I should have because I didn't want to let them go. Not sure what to do now. I think I'll possibly reclaim the garden for a while and decide later what to do about hens. Ideally Id like to move to a more rural location with a wee bit of land and an outbuilding so the chooks have somewhere warm and dry in the winter. But that wont be soon. Here's a couple of photos of some of my faves over the years.

20160411_164901.jpg

20150905_174903.jpg

20141228_121620.jpg

• Like 1

I know of a few people who have had chickens for a while and decided not to get more. They do make a mess, can be noisy, are a constant worry, take a lot of time and can be difficult when they get older or get sick. For us there is little point in living in the countryside and not having some livestock, the place would just feel empty. For a gardener chicken poo compost produces great crops and the eggs are a bonus. I'd miss them too much I think; they are all 'little people' after all.

Take a break Sparkysmum, but don't sell your equipment yet.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear it

I kind of had a few years off chickens as I lived away from home for 8 years, 5 of those abroad, so didn't get to visit shows as much as I used to. I still had quail and falconry birds in that time, I'd love to get another but don't have the time. Can't see myself ever bin chickenless though.

Those are lovely pictures!   I have been without my birds for 7 years now, and although I do miss them, I wouldn't have been able to live the life I have had if I still had them, because I travel too much/for too long (at least I did before March!) and it would be hard for me to find somebody to look after them.  I have to admit I also like the freedom it brings, I just don't have to worry or plan like I used to.  Like everybody says, take a break but don't get rid of your kit yet (I still have mine!), you have all the time in the world to make a final decision.

• Like 1

Awww thank you all. I'm so touched by your replies. Its so odd going into the garden and not having my trainers pecked or indeed opening the back door and having to shoo them off the door mat before I could step outside.However I think you are all right. I am going to take some time out but I absolutely wont part with the cube or eglu. In fact I may well move the guinea pigs into the cube run and gain a green house.

I haven't been here for ages. Its so lovely seeing old friends from years ago  🥰🥰  Interesting also hearing from folks who no longer have chooks but are still Omleteers :-)

I always enjoyed hanging out on the forum, think I might find the time to hang out a bit more. Axx

• Like 3