Cinnamon

Rat trouble

I use bait boxes for the poison I have put down. I check them regularly and they have all stayed put.

Yep - this is what I do. Just over £4 each for the boxes (I have four) and 69p a sachet for the poison. I hate the idea of poisoning anything, but I really can't have rats given that there are kids nextdoor - and me wandering around the run. Reggie and Ronnie were two sleek young rats living in the bush in the girls' run, but they aren't around now since I put the boxes down.

Sad for the rats, but I'm afraid OH just wouldn't have it, and I really couldn't marshall a good enough argument against.

I thought initially I would shoot them as it was a better end than poison - but I stood at the run gate for two evenings and everytime I got a decent shot at them with the airgun, one of the flippin chickens wandered into the way!

I do worry though - I hope no fieldmice or hedgehogs ate the bait. :(

What I was trying to say that was anyone who is totally against killing animals in all circumstances would have to buy as many cockerels as they have hens.

I love cockerels, but can't have them. So as I have six hens, I am probably responsible for the death of their six cockerel brothers. Omlet don't buy any boys from their suppliers, and I doubt whether anyone on this forum would either.

If everyone gave up eating beef but continued to drink milk and eat cheese, we would still have to continue killing all the male cattle (for no purpose), or else the countryside would be overrun with bulls.

If everyone went further and gave up milk products, there would no male cattle to kill: but no one would keep cows either, except in zoos, and our landscape would be destroyed by oilseed rape.

I don't think anyone can claim not to be responsible for the death of some animals. Even vegans aren't innocent: some of them probably wear wool, which involves the slaughter of rams (who don't give much wool and can't give birth). And if rabbits weren't dealt with, vegans wouldn't have any greens to eat.

The Hubby has proved himself pretty handy with the air gun & shot 3 rats to date :D

As he said,its a darn sight quicker than poisoning them :wink:

Are country rats as bad as urban rats though?

They weren't going through the bins were they, just eating fruit from the hedges?

I am afraid they are just as disease ridden,Skye :?

Rats carry Weils disease, which ia really nasty & potentially fatal. Rats are also incontinent,so dribble urine in their wake - causing the disease to spread :?

Not sure if this is the right place to post but has anyone else's hens ever eaten a mouse?

Last weekend I was in the garden and heard a really high pictched squealing and the dogs went mad and ran down to the eglu. When I looked closer one of the hens was shaking a mouse in it's mouth!! I had to shove the dogs in the house and try to get it out with a trowel but the chickens were going crazy trying to get it.

I wonder whether it has happened before when I am at work :( I don't like mice but can't stop thinking about the noise it was making. Poor thing.

Would it do them any harm if they did eat it? It's put me off the eggs :( Don't mind them eating worms etc but mice!! Anyone else noticed any mice on the menu or is it just me with tough hens? They have to survive living with 3 dogs so maybe that has made them brave!!

The dogs have been sniffing around but not managed to find them. I couldn't believe it, the way it was shaking it about!! It was the most gentle chicken as well! She has turned from a gentle sweet clucking thing into a killing machine!!

The noise was awful, what a way to go. I am glad though. At least it keeps the numbers down. My peas were ruined by mice, then the dogs trampling them looking for the mice.

It has been a disaster in my garden this year in terms of growing things :(

My rats are back too - I spotted Mr Rat in the back garden last saturday tucking into chicken food. He scarpered when I hurled a shoe at him down the garden. Now no chicken food is left down and the rat posion sachets are back out in the shed (they seem to act as a deterrant - they don't get touched but I no longer see any rats in the garden either). My house backs onto allotments and they are full of lots of fab wildlife and unfortunately the rats are part of the deal.

I should feel lucky then. I only have mice. I think rats are much worse. Hopefully if I ever get any the dogs will either scare it off or kill it. Milo sleeps outside so I think he would be the rat killer.

It is strange how some hens just look at mice and others want to eat them. I think that is why they are so popular due to their personalities. I have loved having them.

I haven't seen mine catch any mice, but the cat is a great mouser, and sometimes leaves them in the garden when they have stopped providing entertainment. I have to be very careful to check before I let the girls out, as I've seen them dive on a dead mouse with clucks of delight before ... :vom:

*sigh* another week of giving the eggs away ... :wink:

have frogs got bones? I know that sounds strange. If they do they must be very soft to be stretched.

What does a frog scream sound like? I can't even imagine it!! :shock:

I can only imagine that because the frog was dead there was no resistance to the leg being stretched :? Yes, they do have bones (non stretchy!), I have found complete skeletons in my garden when old or injured ones have gone off to die.

A frogs scream is a really high pitched noise, and it emits it when cornered by one of my chickens! I never realised what it was at first, then noticed a cornered frog, so held the girls back. If I hear it now when they are free ranging I tend to intervene, but if a frog goes into the run, he'll have to fend for himself :shock:

I've got rats too but mine are fancy rats.

I love them to bits and its a shame their wild cousins are such a nuisance because i think its horrible to kill living creatures, but it has to be done sometimes. :( I just hope everyone does it humanely.

I know that wild rats are nothing like fancy ones but i can't help seeing the big brown rats on the street and seeing my boys traits in them.

Here are aome pics of my babies because im so proud of them and their cuteness.

dscf0032fu2.jpg

dscf9501iv8.jpg

ratheadxk5.png

ratmanpf9.png

45634008gk1.png

please excuse the silly faces. :oops:

My favourite boys, they're so mischevious.

:lol:

Right people whats the verdict on the best poison to put down. I'm assuming I can get all the paraphanelia online wher do I get the poison from. Its hard for me I don't drive and I don't want to drag dh out as then it becomes a big thing and a fuss is made.

I decided it was time when I saw they had been digging at the end near the compost heaps. There are tunnels in the compost bins themselves too

Look for the Pest Control section on your local council's website.

Oxford City Council has a lovely rat man, and he is always coming to our house with his paraphernalia. Best of all, it costs nothing at all.

If you keep chickens, you are not to blame for the first rats you see, as there are a lot of them about: but they breed extremely fast, and you should not allow them to have children and grandchildren while you prevaricate. Get rid of them fast!

our council charge, so I do it myself. The boxes were just over £4. They are plastic and come with a key that locks and opens them. The poison (wheat cut with something which I forget but can find out when I next go down to the shed) is 70p a sachet - but I bought a kiliogram which works out much cheaper. I'm sure I'll use it in time.

I got the stuff from Quill - ordered it online and they delivered very promptly. Google 'Quill poultry supplies'. They are based in Dorchester, Dorset.

so rats are inevitible if you keep chickens are they?

We have a compost heap and have told hubbie to get some 16g wire for the bottom, just in case. We're going to take the food containers into the garden shed at night and clear up any spillage but are we still to expect rats in our garden?

This thread is worrying me!