hilda-and-evadne

How do you prevent fox opening eglu classic run door?

Sorry if this is a FAQ but I have tried to find the answer.  I have set up a new Omlet run (attached to an Eglu Classic) for the first time (last time I was keeping hens I built a walk-in run) but the door of the run seems very insecure.  What do other people do to stop the fox simply lifting the pin or forcing the door open?  Thank you, in advance, for any advice.

I have heard of one lifting the door and forcing their way in.  The way to stop it is to insert a long piece of wood, just inside the door, which acts as a barrier.   The weakness is the ‘waist’ of the classic.  Some old ones have lost [ or never had) the square piece of mesh which stops predators digging into the run at that point.  Putting the classic and run on slabs is the safest option.   Also with the classic door closed it’s impregnable - unless you’ve got a wonky tray clip!  

On 9/11/2020 at 9:01 PM, Patricia W said:

I have heard of one lifting the door and forcing their way in.  The way to stop it is to insert a long piece of wood, just inside the door, which acts as a barrier.   The weakness is the ‘waist’ of the classic.  Some old ones have lost [ or never had) the square piece of mesh which stops predators digging into the run at that point.  Putting the classic and run on slabs is the safest option.   Also with the classic door closed it’s impregnable - unless you’ve got a wonky tray clip!  

Thank you.  Mine is a new run, and no - there is no square piece of mesh ...  I have put slabs on the floor of the run, and I am pilling up stones all around the run on top of the "skirt".  I'll insert a long bit of wood, too, in the way you suggest, but can't do that yet.  Ah, yes, the tray clip - must check that.

On 9/11/2020 at 1:39 PM, Geoid said:

It would have to be a very inventive fox to be able to lift the pin out all the way and then open the door and get into the run.

This has never happened to me, nor have I heard of it happening to anyone else.

Having lost my first two hens - years ago (the two hens after which my ID on this forum is named) - to a very inventive fox, I don't want to experience that again!

10 minutes ago, hilda-and-evadne said:

I have put slabs on the floor of the run, and I am pilling up stones all around the run on top of the "skirt".  

Make sure these stones are very heavy. I used to have my eglu on slabs with bricks on the skirt. An animal managed to move the bricks, lift up the skirt and kill my chickens :(