Cate in NZ

OMLET GET-TOGETHER KEW 14TH JAN 2006

Kew Gardens January 14th 2006- meeting outside the Victoria Gate (there's a group meeting area there, to the right of the ticket booths) at 11:15- 11:30 :D:D

The plan is to go into Kew as a group (where possible) to qualify for the discount. For those who can't arrive early enough to join the group, or don't want to commit themselves until the day, the plan is to go straight to the Orangery restaurant, being there by 11:45. It should be fairly quiet there at that time, so an Omlet takeover should work :wink: It did get busy at lunch time though, although there were a lot of Christmas attractions that will have attracted the crowds. The staff I chatted too said that it was generally quiet in January.

Even if the restaurant is busy there are a lot of tables and chairs on a decked area outside, and the area is in a real sunspot, and it felt suprisingly warm even on a bitterly cold day, so if we're lucky enough to have picked a dry & mild day that area would be perfect.

Food was OK, Imy and I had a very nice bowl of soup each, veggie & quite clearly not out of a tin, with bread for £3.80. Full meals were available for around the £13 mark, or just tea, coffee & cake are available, I didn't really get an idea of cost for that.

For directions & details, check this map of Kew gardens http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/visitor/KewMap.html

Car parking is available on Kew road after 10am, or in their car park at Brentford Gate (via Kew Green & Ferry Lane)

Public transport- tube District line to Kew Gardens, then a 5-10 min walk to the Victoria Gate (easy to find, but I can post directions for anyone wanting them). Silverlink trains use the same station. South West trains use Kew Bridge station, which is closer to the Main Gate (again, I can post directions if wanted).

Cost:

Children 17 & under :FREE

Adult entry (full price): £10

Adult (group- pay on the day): £9 this doesn't have to be pre-booked, so anyone who's unsure and doesn't want to book in advance can join the group & as long as you enter the gardens with the group you get the discount.

Adult (group-pre-booked) £7.60 - this must be booked 14 days in advance, there must be 10 of us to qualify as a group and it is non-refundable (even in case of bad weather or bad memory!). At the moment Kew are sticking to the line that they only issue 1 ticket for everyone to the group leader, which means that we would all have to arrive together- hence the meeting time as suggested at the start of this posting.

Concessions: (full price)- £7.00

Concs (group pay on day)- £6.30

Concs (group pre-booked)- £5.60

PM me if you want to do that & I'll give you my address & details for cheques, but to get cheques and everything to Kew 14 days in advance we'll need to move quickly because of Christmas and possible postal delays.

I'll PM my mobile phone number to anyone who wants it to make contact with the group on the day.

Think I've posted everything. Thanks for having the patience to read it all :D:D

Post or PM if there's anything I've forgotten.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all :D:D:D

PS- if anyone wants to bring their Christmas tree (& another full paying visitor) you can get free entry by letting Kew have the tree to recycle :shock::shock: I think you also need a voucher to qualify for this, but I have a voucher, so if any of the locals are interested, just let me know. I could be tempted but a dead tree with me on train and tube could be difficult :wink:

Edited by Guest

Sorry, busy day yesterday- no time to add my link. I will add it to the original posting too, but thought if I put it in a new posting as well so that those of you who've already seen the other posting & are unlikely to go back to it will still catch the link.

A bit untidy, I'm afraid (couldn't find the postings giving details on how to do the nifty 'here' style hyperlinks), but should work nonetheless.

This is a map of Kew gardens; http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/visitor/KewMap.html

Adult entry (full price): £10

Adult (group- pay on the day): £9 this doesn't have to be pre-booked, so anyone who's unsure and doesn't want to book in advance can join the group & as long as you enter the gardens with the group you get the discount.

Adult (group-pre-booked) £7.60 - this must be booked 14 days in advance, there must be 10 of us to qualify as a group and it is non-refundable (even in case of bad weather or bad memory!). At the moment Kew are sticking to the line that they only issue 1 ticket for everyone to the group leader, which means that we would all have to arrive together- hence the meeting time as suggested at the start of this posting.

Concessions: (full price)- £7.00

Concs (group pay on day)- £6.30

Concs (group pre-booked)- £5.60

PM me if you want to do that & I'll give you my address & details for cheques, but to get cheques and everything to Kew 14 days in advance we'll need to move quickly because of Christmas and possible postal delays.

Kate A's waiting on all of us to send her payment so that we can get in as a group on the day. With the Christmas and New Year holidays, the postal service will be a bit erratic so if you know you will be able to meet up so that we can go in as a group, please could you PM KateA and let her know.

Thanks dears. :wink:

I am going to try to come to this as well - didn't log on much over Christmas, and don't usually go to the nesting box, so I missed it until Christine pointed it out! Look forward to meeting some of you there.

Love,

Karen

Just received this from LSH. Hope it doesn't affect anyone's plans.

Do people in eglu land know that the District tube line is closed between Earls court and Acton town (this is the area Kew is in) on the weekends 14-15 Jan and 21-22 Jan.

There are replacement buses and an alternate route but is less direct.

For closure info see website below.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/travelinfo/picc-dis-weekend-closure.asp

Edited by Guest

Thanks Kate, I hadn't realised that and I'll have to look ito it. The district line forks after Turnham Green, and a bit heads north to Acton Town, the other bit heads south to Kew & Richmond. The Piccadilly line goes to Acton Town, what I don't know if it's posible to travel from Acton Down down to Kew, since the actual work causing the closure is at Barons Court. I'll contact Tfl for advice.