Leicester_H

What do they teach them these days?

Hi

Just sat down with cup of tea and switched TV on whilst I drank it. Caught end of a quiz show called "Tipping Point". Basically, finalist is asked a series of questions and has to pick 1 of 3 possible answers each time - long story short - if ultimately successful they win £10k.

Finalist  (Geography student, completed 2 years at Uni) was asked what she would spend money on if she won. She replied that she had traveled a LOT around Europe but not outside Europe, so she'd like to do that.

There was a Geography question - which sea does the European river the Rhine flow into ? She said she'd NEVER heard of the river Rhine!

I found that admission "unbelievable"! I didn't do Geography O-level (we had to choose between History and Geography) but even I know approx where Rhine is.

What do they teach them these days? - am I turning into a 'grumpy old woman' ??? (don't answer that!)

H

It’s not so much ‘What do they teach them?’ that bothers me - I did geography GCSE and even in the mid 90s it wasn’t so much about where places are as what people do there (I was disappointed - I wanted it to be all about maps and volcanoes and in fact when I was told that it WASN’T about that at A level that’s why I didn’t take it further 😆) . What bothers me is that how can someone be a geography student and claim to be reasonably well travelled and therefore presumably interested in geography, and yet not picked up a thing like that?! It worries me that it seems like with a lot of people these days unless you say ‘Remember-this-it’ll-be-in-a-test-you-need-to-know-it’ they don’t take it in at all 🙄

But yes, I suspect you are 😂🤣

16 minutes ago, mullethunter said:

What bothers me is that how can someone be a geography student and claim to be reasonably well travelled and therefore presumably interested in geography, and yet not picked up a thing like that?! It worries me that it seems like with a lot of people these days unless you say ‘Remember-this-it’ll-be-in-a-test-you-need-to-know-it’ they don’t take it in at all 🙄

But yes, I suspect you are 😂🤣

This is soooo true. It's not the lack of what I try to teach them. But mostly they can’t be bothered to put in ANY effort from their side to understand or remember. Online teaching is just making them even more passive.

I blame the parents!!!! Seriously, OH and I may not be the most intelligent on the planet and neither of us went to uni but we have always discussed things with our boys, things in the news, places that we have been, tried to watch 'improving' tellie progs and then discussed and just generally talked about life.  If, as parents, you allow your children to spend all their time in their rooms/on devices etc you can't expect them to be Brain Of Britain or even be at all interested in what is going on around them or why things happen and how. We have brought our 2 up to ask questions and listen to the answers. ES (16) is scarilly 'up' on politics both in Britain and abroad and YS (13 today!!!) is very into how and why with nature, environment. As a parent that sort of thing is in the job description!

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, soapdragon said:

Catsy, in the UK a few years ago an animal welfare charity (can't remember which) had a ubiquitous bumper sticker stating 'A dog is for life, not just for Christmas'. Children are the same!!!!!

😂

Go and tell all Dutch parents who are crying over the fact that they need to entertain their own kids now schools are still closed. It’s like they finally realise they have kids at all.

• Sad 1

While I do find that funny, I've learned not to mock children ever since the niece and nephew have started Zoom calling us to help with their homework.

They had a chemistry question the other day and the two of us ended up having to Google the answer and confer before responding.

They're 10 and 7 respectively, and I feel positively stupid compared with them. 

😂

Sadly, these days, a lot of parents don't do parenting anymore.

They expect school to do everything for them.

And hardly any parents stand up to their children and say no.

Even basic skills and general knowledge are lacking  - for instance how to use a ruler properly. So many children think it is just for drawing a line and using the middle. Or even holding it at the end so as you draw the line starts to curve. 

One child I worked with recently didn't know what a catkin is or that a baby duck is called a duckling.

• Thanks 1

A while back our French neighbours called in to say hello whilst with their family out walking. All their children wanted to speak English and on the subject of relatives Wales was mentioned. Their youngest, perhaps 7, immediately said "the National emblem of Wales is the leek" which took us completely by surprise because in our experience hardly anyone outside Wales knows that. So French children have a great deal of European knowledge and all now speak some English, in contrast to their parents who generally don't at all. The daily news here features neighbouring Countries news as well, with reporters based in many capitals including London. French children are also very polite and well behaved.

I've been watching some of the French TV English teaching programmes. What did surprise me is the amount of American English content; one of the aforementioned children's teacher is American. As an example they were going through the associated names of various animals and with the chicken you have, chick, hen and ROOSTER.

Talking of rulers Luvachicken, they are quite difficult to use, especially with small hands. Writing paper here doesn't have lines, it has squares so that the spacing of the letters is better and the upright characters are just that; I can't get on with it at all because it's like writing on graph paper.

Y grandson is nearly 15 and sometimes he phones me and tells me about his studies.  Most I can cope with but when he starts to talk about computer engineering etc. I’ve no idea what he’s talking about.  So I just listen and so things like oh yes, that’s interesting etc. Trouble is he seems to think I know all about it! Bless him! 

3 hours ago, Beantree said:

Talking of rulers Luvachicken, they are quite difficult to use, especially with small hands. 

I agree that small hands may find it difficult, but I now work with 9 and 10 year olds and some of their hands are the same size as mine.

We once watched a program where children in Africa are taught to use machetes and knives from the age of 3 onwards. Dangerous tools to use but they soon learnt because someone showed them how to do use them.