Rachy

Petition

Which are better wooden chickens houses or eglus  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which are better wooden chickens houses or eglus

• Eglu
    • Wooden chicken houses

Hi Rachy

I had 20 years of a variety of wooden hen houses, followed by a very sad few years with no hens :cry::cry::cry: and then the eglu came along :D:D:D

In my vast experience 8) , for up to 4 hens in a typical garden I think the eglu wins in every respect. The cleaning and maintenance is a doddle compared to a wooden hen house and, if you've read any of the threads on foxes, the fox proof run is a serious advantage. Trying to make one of those yourself would cost a fortune.

I'm guessing your mum won't be persuaded by the cleaning since you'll be doing that, but she may be impressed by the 28 day trial offer and the fact that 2nd hand eglus make a very good price on the forum or ebay.

Re colour, I went for a green one first, but then painted it to make it brighter (it's the flowery one that Kaz has) and I now have a bright pink one :D:D

The only thing I can fault with the eglu is that they don't have an option of a larger one for people who get seriously bitten by the chicken bug - however ' 3 eglu Lesley' has got round that problem another way :lol::lol:

If you end up getting a second hand one, remember that the old mark 1 will hold a max of 3 medium hens, while the new mark 2 will take up to 4 if they will be outside the eglu run for a while most days.

Good luck, and let us know how the 'persuading' goes :D

I love my eglu and am sooo glad i got it as it's a great introduction to keeping chickens! Its easy to keep clean and easy to move.

Having said that :oops: i am a bit of a traitor having just paid for a wooden hen house to be installed in our new run. This has nothing to do with the eglu at all - i think it's great - it's just that we want to keep a few more chooks and another eglu won't really fit in the run. We are going to use the eglu as an introduction house - so that any newbies wont get pecked to death when we introduce them.

The eglu is fantastic for keeping a couple of chooks and i would highly recommend it. The only bad thing is that it gets you totally hooked on keeping chickens and you go a little bit chook mad :D

I love my eglu and am sooo glad i got it as it's a great introduction to keeping chickens! Its easy to keep clean and easy to move.

Having said that :oops: i am a bit of a traitor having just paid for a wooden hen house to be installed in our new run. This has nothing to do with the eglu at all - i think it's great - it's just that we want to keep a few more chooks and another eglu won't really fit in the run. We are going to use the eglu as an introduction house - so that any newbies wont get pecked to death when we introduce them.

The eglu is fantastic for keeping a couple of chooks and i would highly recommend it. The only bad thing is that it gets you totally hooked on keeping chickens and you go a little bit chook mad :D

I know the feeling-I'd love a mark 2 eglu, give me just the right excuse of having another hen. Except I'd really insult my Dad at having one as he built my wooden one :roll: But I musn't fall into that trap(slap wrist!)I MUST BE STRONG

If they did last that long, where would that leave Omlet - no one would be buying eglus due to a saturated market. No, I reckon they are bio-degradable and have a built in lifetime. One morning you'll go out and find the chickens wandering aimlessly around the garden and nothing but a slimey green pool (or blue, orange, etc) where the eglu used to be, complete with a card saying 'phone Omlet'.

On the other hand, if eglus are still around in a million years, we could have evolved into tiny human beings and we might even be living in them ourselves. I'd feel a bit claustrophobic in a 'run' though.

(Sorry - it's been a long week.) :roll:

I've no experience of a wooden ark or much of keeping chickens, but I have looked at them. It seems to me that if you buy an ark/coop and a suitable run, the cost would be much the same as the eglu but without the money-back guarantee, service and constant support.

Good luck with your persuasion Rachy. A visit would be a good idea!

Please help by signing this petition about me getting an eglu and please put why they are sooo much better than normal wooden chicken houses and that they are worth the price you have to pay.

(Mum says eglus are too expensive.)

:) Hi this is the firs time that I am using a forum at all so I hope this message will arrive.

I just wanted to say that I have waited 5 years to have my chicken due to lack of plastic chickenhouses in Switzerland. So me and my 3 chabo chickens are delighted to have found one in England. I do agree the price is not cheap but the design is fantastic and it is so easy to clean. As well as fox, cat, rat, etc proof which even here smack in the middle of town the fox is a big problem. So maybe it is worth to wait a bit longer and save your money for the "dreamhome" as i did.

Regards from snowy Switzerland

Sonja

with (green eglu)

and Gwendolyn , Henrietta and Victoria

no eggs for far I am afraid

Hi there,i havent had any experience with anything chickeny other than the EGLU.

I would say it is the best thing i have ever bought!

I would say the same as everybody else about it and i cannot find fault with it in any way what-so-ever.

The only thing other than not being totally foxproof on the wooden ones would be the thought of trying to scrub clean and perhaps the water rotting the wood and having to replace rotting items.

The only maintenance on the eglu would probably be the roosting bars eventually.

I LOVE MY EGLU AND CHOOKS :D

:D

Lesle-Jean and others,

Thanks for welcoming to the club. Well my chabo are 2 white with black feather tails and 1 brown with black feather tails and since enlgish is not my mother tonge excuse the description the feathers are curly (if anybody can give me the correct word in english i will be happy to know.

I have pictures of the run and the birds but I am not good in using the web so someone could talk me trough somtimes be my guest.

All I can say is that the setup is quite simple in my back garden, without woodbarks and now with snow. The ladies are a rather messy bunch so I doubt that there will be much grass left.

I am about at 20 min trainride away from Geneva airport. So if any of you would like to visit. Please be my guests.. Maybe not 100 egluowners at once :wink:

We have a beautiful lake and mountains and sunshine.......etc.

By the way have forgotten to mention apart from the girls we have

3 kids, 3 cats, 2 rabbits, 9 guineapigs (outside) and about 40 fish

Ciao

No worries will continue to contribute to your english natters if you do not offer me a nice cup of tea

:wink:

Sonja