Beauty-Box

Spoof e-mail-E-bay

:x

Just to warn paople. I recieved a spoof/fake e-mail. It looked like it was off ebay, but i knew it was strange as soon as I got it because I hadn't bid on anything and it just didn't look like a genuine ebay message. I have copied and pasted it here:

Dear eBay Comunity Member,

Recently we became aware that your eBay account was involved in the following activity:

*Bid Cancelation- Placing a bid on a invalid item.

The bid that has been entered for the item ( 130042365011) has been cancelled .

We realize that you may not have been aware there is a rule against this activity.

Our goal is to help you understand our policies to ensure successful experiences at eBay.

We respectfully request that you refrain from this activity in the future to avoid the possible suspension

of your eBay registration.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this important matter.

Regards,

Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)

eBay Inc

I forwarded it to ebay and they confirmed it hadn't come from them. Fortunately I didn't click on anything. But apparently if you click on the item no (which was a link) it sends to a bogus site which asks for personal information.

I had a genuine email today saying one of my auctions was cancelled as the high bidders account had been hijacked.

2 minutes later I got a FAKE email - that appeared to be about the cancelled item stating payment had been made by another user ID completely!

If I hadn't been clued up this could have been a very costly mistake!

Thats how I easily spotted the spoof BUT I think it did have something to do with the hijacked account though - the scam email could have come from the person who hijacked the account, This was all within minutes of the auction ending.

Genuine eBay messages will have your user name and your name at the top

Thats right.

If you ever get an email from eBay or paypal that adresses you as user or community member,it is a fake.

eBay have their own internal mail system too, which you can access from your my eBay page 8)

I haven't had any spam from either company for a while,but thanks to this heads up I will be more diligent from now on :?

Hi - if you right click on one of these emails in your inbox supposedly from ebay...then go into properties, you will then see that it is not from ebay! Often says ebay.com rather than uk or often says blah blah@hotmail.com.

If we get any of those emails asking you to log in, we make up bogus swear names and submit. You can guarantee that they are always accepted, because the person wants your 'real' log in details really.

Emma.x

If we get any of those emails asking you to log in, we make up bogus swear names and submit. You can guarantee that they are always accepted, because the person wants your 'real' log in details really.

Emma.x

exactly what I do!

if u type in email: sodoffyoucheatingscum@scamster.com

password: doyouthinkIwasbornyesterday

(or if u are Emma - something ruder!)

and it accepts them!! then u know it was bogus!

Phil

I sent one to ebay recently ( they said I hadnt paid for something when I hadnt even been on for ages!!)

Ebay said the easy way to check if ti IS from them is to log onto ebay and check your message box - if there is a copy in there it is real, if not it is a spoof. I have done that ever since so I can be sure it is spoof before I block it..........