Cat tails

Meet Flo

On 4/25/2022 at 4:44 PM, Luvachicken said:

Never knew you could get pet sun-cream.

Your little kitty has had some life experiences in her short time already.

A friend of mine used to have a sphinx cat. And those you have to wash and if you take them out, cover in sun cream from nose to tail. So I knew about sun cream for cats! Luckily Flo only needs some on her pink nose and the edges of her ears.

• Like 1

OK, so this isn't about Flo, but does anybody have any idea how to get rid of male tomcats?  Now our female has been spayed she has become quite assertive and sometimes can see off the 2 males which come round, but they routinely chase our neutered boy up trees and this morning our girl came in with a ripped claw and bleeding back paw.  We have a bucket of water at the ready, which works in the short-term (and if they are standing still!)  Its made worse because one/both of them are strays, covered in ticks, and hungry - so they try to get in the house as well.

• Sad 1

On 4/25/2022 at 7:17 PM, Daphne said:

OK, so this isn't about Flo, but does anybody have any idea how to get rid of male tomcats?  Now our female has been spayed she has become quite assertive and sometimes can see off the 2 males which come round, but they routinely chase our neutered boy up trees and this morning our girl came in with a ripped claw and bleeding back paw.  We have a bucket of water at the ready, which works in the short-term (and if they are standing still!)  Its made worse because one/both of them are strays, covered in ticks, and hungry - so they try to get in the house as well.

Very difficult issue if your own tom doesn’t see them off himself. My Red is VERY territorial and often has scruffs with other male cats.

Try a water pistol instead of a bucket. Way better range and aim. Alternatively tennis balls flung at intruders can make an (mental) impact as well.

I did think about a water pistol, I think we'll get one, its ridiculous with the bucket - OH missed both cats twice yesterday and ended up wet himself!  

Our boy used to fight with both other males, but came off worse every time - 3 times he had to go to the vet with injuries, so I am pleased that eventually he learnt to run off!  The girl cat, on the other hand, although only half their size, seems to think she can deal with them!  One of the toms is related to her, they look very similar, and most of the time they are quite friendly, rubbing noses in greeting.

She is a lovely little girl isn't she?  We are in the process of 'acquiring' yet another stray.  He is possibly related to our little stray girl as they look similar, and they know each other, rubbing noses in greeting (all she does is hiss at our original boy).  Anyway, the new stray is starving and will come round for his breakfast and tea.  However, yesterday I noticed he has a massive abscess/infected cat fight injury/possible sting (your photo reminded me) on his jaw/chin and he can't eat normally.  He is a big lad (still an entire tom cat) and because he is very nervous I don't get to see his face close up much, its just stuck in a feed bowl then he rushes off!  We are in a quandary, as he isn't ours/never been handled by us/is infested with lice and ticks.  However, if he is no better in a couple of days we may have to pluck up courage and defences and get him to the vet.

We have feral cats here @Daphne, but they need to be treated as a different animal. Here they get pregnant and leave the kitten(s) on your doorstep knowing that they will be taken in. Then they disappear for weeks, the assumption you would make is that they have been killed by a predator and the kittens are therefore taken in. But then they reappear many weeks later pregnant again. They meet the same end as the rats and mice! Sounds brutal, but very soon you will be overrun with feral cats; they really are different animal so be very careful what you are letting yourself in for. A friend of ours lived in a village where the cats were welcomed to control the rats. A few years later and there were so many cats the pest control were called in and the rats were welcomed.

I know exactly what you mean Beantree.  My SIL ended up with 3 ferals in Normandy as there was a field full of horses, and rats and cats nearby.  One was always feral and died quite quickly, the other became semi-tame and died, and the little girl came into eat, but maintained her outdoor roaming existence all her life until she got quite old, then she was happy for an indoor fuss.  They had her neuteured, so no more kittens from her, but it did feel like a drop in the ocean.  

Our little stray girl here is now legally ours, chipped and neutered.  She has adapted to being a house cat, it took 6 months before she'd consent to sleep indoors but now she is very happy to be out all day, hunting, returning regularly to eat and sleep all night inside, she is still feisty at times, but she can be super-affectionate if she feels like it as well, her paws are well and truly under the table.   

Since I posted about the boy I have been able to get a closer look at him, I still can't figure out what has happened, but he has dried blood on him and he drools when he eats, making me think he has an abscess.  I gave him some wet cat food yesterday, which he loved, and it seems to have perked him up as for the first time he head butted me and walked around me, instead of rushing off.  I can stroke him whilst he feeds, and he isn't nervous, in fact I use the opportunity to de-burr him, and get rid of loads of excess moulting fur.  He looks a right state, as does the other entire male who was a picture of health and vitality in January, but now is a very sorry figure.  Either they have beaten each other up very badly, or there is another cat/animal on the patch.  Around here there are more dogs than cats, and many are semi-feral. They don't belong to anybody, and they aren't vet treated (ever it seems), yet somebody will put down food for them, I presume to keep vermin down as you say.  The owned cats are generally quite attractive, there are a lot of 'unimproved' siamese types, with large rounded heads, not pointy faces, in fact they look like burmese but with siamese colouring, although in reality I am sure they are just moggies!

It's a real minefield @Daphne. Instinctively you want to help them, but that's going to kick you back.

Friend had two kittens dropped on their back doorstep by their mother. They completely ignored them and she eventually took them away, presumably to another house: these cats are smart. And the last thing you want is to be woken in the middle of the night by two males fighting. People here use poison for rats (which we don't and will never do) so the cat population is poisoned as well, from eating poisoned rats. Saw one a few months back looking very sick in a ditch, but what can you do? It wasn't there the next day so had a fox taken it?

We had a cat in the roof space, presumably looking for mice, making a real racket. In fact the only things in there are lizards, snakes and owls. So I waited for it to come out and blocked all the entry points, which has worked. My fault really because when we came here the window to the bread oven had some rusty mesh over it which I removed. That's where it came in.

She is so gorgeous!  She really reminds me of our little girl, they don't look remotely similar in colour/markings, but there is something about Flo's almond eyes, they are just like our Fig, although Fig would never be showing her tummy to the outside world, in case the outside world took advantage and she absolutely would never be lying next to anybody else, she hisses when any cat gets remotely close!

• Like 1

It’s all a rather one way love affair here too. Red tries with all his might, but often can only count on being bitten, pounced on and chased. The poor lad. 
In the photo Flo was trying to bite his paws, but I wouldn’t let her until she gave up and went to sleep.

She’s a real madam and isn’t afraid to use her teeth to tell the world she doesn’t appreciate something. Very independent, but will come and sleep on my lap every night after dinner.

• Like 1