redhotchick

How time flies

14 years ago I got chickens! and met a friendly, wise and knowledgable group of people, who welcomed me into their lives. Sadly I have not had chickens for a long time  😕.  I'm still in the same house. My vegetable plot is expanding, I keep trying, sometimes things work, sometimes they don't.  I gave my Eglu to a friend who has rescue chickens ❤.  I still love to bake, which mostly contradicts my efforts to eat a low carbohydrate diet 🙈. My work commitments have declined, at least for now. My crochet skills have not improved 😬 Fingers crossed I am off on my dream trip in 2 weeks time, it has been a long time coming, it was booked 2 years ago.

It has been lovely to 'see' some of the youngsters on here grow

• Like 2

On 2/17/2022 at 10:50 PM, DanTheChickenMan said:

Shame this forum is basically dead now, probably thriving when you were active.

I joined 13 years ago and it really isn't as busy as it used to be.

I miss the general "having a look almost every day" to see what people have been up to with their chickens.

Where are you off to?  I hope that you have a wonderful time, wherever it is.

14 years ago is when I got my first girls too!  Kept them until last year when we rehomed Sappho our last one as we were moving to Scotland. I haven't got more yet as we had no luck buying a house, kept getting outbid then got gazumped so have ended up building our own house. The Eglu along with the rest of our stuff is currently in storage. 

The forum was so busy then, we had the Omlet must haves, egg skelters, meets and all sorts.  I'm still friends with a couple of people that I met Whoopsie and Seagazer. Names I remember in addition to some who have commented on this post, in no particular order are Christian, Red Frock, Fur and Feathers, Poet, who is sadly no longer with us. Cinnamon, Mummy Hen, Mrs Tilytinkle, Lewis, Penguin, Groovychook and lots of others who's names will probably come to me or not as the case may be 😳

• Like 2

On 2/19/2022 at 7:04 PM, Cat tails said:

Oh that sounds exciting! Any chance of seeing the northern lights?

Yes! a reasonably good chance 🤞

We have a "Northern Lights guarantee". If they don't show up we get a free 7 night cruise!  They are bound to show up for 3 seconds at some point 🙄 blink and you miss them! 😅

We have a husky sleigh ride booked too. The trip has been booked for two years! We were originally supposed to go Christmas 2020! 

When we rebooked, I decided to go when there are more daylight hours. It's been agonising watching people post brilliant pictures of the aurora and thinking "we could have been on that trip". If I don't get to see them this time we'll do a different trip, a few days up north somewhere, and land based 😁

Norway sounds amazing especially a husky ride! It's definitely on my list, have booked Denmark and Sweden this year.

The forum is definitely different to all those years ago but I'm still in contact with several members. Lots of people have moved to various other social media which weren't around then but means threads of discussion get lost, which is sad. We got our first chickens 16 years ago, graduated and working as a vet since then!

• Like 1

A little update. This really has been a super trip. We've seen the Northern Lights a few times, I met the huskies and went on a sled ride. The weather has been pretty good. One night of rough seas. (Go to bed, it'll be fine 🙂)

A supportive group on deck late at night, keeping each others spirits up. It got pretty cold and late, but it was fun, and worth it 😁. I have lots of photos and memories. 20220314_074806.thumb.jpg.4b616754dbbd687b0258782622c14ece.jpg

• Like 4