Luvachicken

Any ideas to get Bonnie walking?

Bonnie is now 5 months old but she really doesn't like walking.

When we first got her, I carried her so she could experience traffic, people and general stuff going on as she wasn't old enough or had her injections to walk herself.

Once she was old enough, she went for walks along the main road to my school and home again (10 minute walk)

She wasn't keen on the main road but started to get used to it.

Now we can barely get past the front door. She just sits down and watches. She loves watching - people, traffic, it really doesn't matter.

She is more than happy to go in the car and then get out out for a run around but she really doesn't like to go for the walk to get to the interesting places.

We have a canal but we have to go along the main road to get to it.

We have local woods but again we have to go along the road.

Even our own road, we are lucky if we can get to the neighbours house and we live in a cul-de-sac.

We've tried treats, no treats, carrying her and waiting but sometimes the waiting takes too long.

I've checked her paws and pads. She doesn't limp.

A friend of mine says that she used to have 2 cocker spaniels that did the same.

I've never known a dog not want to go for a walk.

Any ideas ?  

Gosh, what a horrible problem for you, you just want Bonnie to be a little dog scampering about full of the joys of Spring.  I don't have any experience of this, so would it be worth asking a puppy trainer/dog behaviourist, or maybe even the vet?  It sounds like it is the noise/speed/sensation of the traffic which she is nervous of, or possibly she loves the car/carrying so much she just wants that bit of the experience, but its more likely to be fear of traffic when she is close to it.  I hope you find a solution soon.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 8:56 AM, Daphne said:

Gosh, what a horrible problem for you, you just want Bonnie to be a little dog scampering about full of the joys of Spring.  I don't have any experience of this, so would it be worth asking a puppy trainer/dog behaviourist, or maybe even the vet?  It sounds like it is the noise/speed/sensation of the traffic which she is nervous of, or possibly she loves the car/carrying so much she just wants that bit of the experience, but its more likely to be fear of traffic when she is close to it.  I hope you find a solution soon.

Thanks @Daphne

Yes, she is a funny little thing - doesn't even really get excited when you get the lead out.

Tonight we are taking her to puppy training so will ask her for her advice as for what to do.

She is still quite diddy so cars, lorries and trailers must still be quite scary and some do come very close to the pavements - I wouldn't like it if I was that small.

Have to see how we get on tonight.

• Like 1

Puppy training lady said it was fine to keep picking Bonnie up and to reward her for any walking she does do rather than using the reward to get her to walk.

One of the children in my class said that she saw me walking Bonnie in the Easter holidays - but that she was sat down 🙄

We will get there eventually. 

• Haha 1

I can see that perseverance is going to be needed, she is lucky to have you!  I can also see what the training lady meant, I hope as Bonnie gets a bit older she might get a bit more confidence, but it must be hard for you, you just want everything to be alright.  Keep us posted.

@Blackrocksrock yes she does like toys - she carries them round a little bit at home.

I did take a sock the other day but she wasn't interested in carrying it and I also took her octopus but she didn't want to carry that either.

Sticks are a favourite carry item but then we have to sit down and chew them.

Today, we went to take her in the car and although she had her harness on, she backed away when we went to do the lead but we did get it on outside the front door.

When we got to where we were going she looked very uninterested in getting out  - very strange.

She enjoyed herself once she realised she could run around.

We are still trying to sort out her tummy/food so I don't know if things will be better then.

Thanks everyone for all your advice.

On 5/9/2022 at 8:04 PM, Cat tails said:

Silly little Bonny! 

Maybe see if you could do a pick up play date? If there is a dog in the neighbourhood, she might like to go on a walk with him/her? So she has someone to follow around.

Yes, I have thought about finding her a walking playmate as she does seem to like following people or other dogs.