Fleata

Birds Of Prey?

hi everyone, sorry ive not been on for a long time. but i have just had a heart wrenching experience. a kestrel was over the road swooping in to her garden, she feeds lots of sparrows and starlings and then swooped and sat over our wall and then flew off!!!

i think it was a kestrel but it was definatly no starling. like a dark brown stripy underside wings, which i think means kestrel. it only really struck me what is was when it flew over the house and i got a good look under its wings. the girls looked worried but didnt dash for cover. they are glad to be indoors

can one kill a hen?? i would have thought they would be desperate for food about now,do you think they would pose a threat. i dont think it was big enough to carry one of them off.

the girls are in the house know for a bit of a warm as they are seem to have started moulting.sigh

No, they are very small birds compared to chickens as they only have a body length of around 35cm. They are only interested in field mice, voles, small birds, reptiles and insects. Even the larger birds of prey like Sparrowhawks won't bother chickens although the chickens will be frightened and will probably run for cover when they see a bird of prey flying overhead or if the other garden birds start making alarm calls. This is just a natural response and the chickens are in no danger whatsoever.

We picked up a sparrowhawk last summer walking up to school, it had been stunned by a car, I picked it up thinking it was a pidgeon :shock:

It had the most amazing eyes and colouring to it's feathers!! the children in the playground were facinated! It was a young male and we took him to a nearby wildlife rescue who kept him overnight and then we went back and let him go near to where we caught him! :D

Definately too small to carry off a hen!

Karen x

Glad you put this question in the forum.

What preying bird can kill a hen? Mine are very small.

On December 27 I heard a bloodcurling sream outside and ran to see what was the matter. A huge bird had one of my chickens (Gwendolyn the brown one) pinned down under the house (on part of our house stands on pillars since our ground slopes) and was trying to drag her out to finish her off. She was screaming frantically and when I arrived the bird took of. I had to collect on chicken from the steet on was in the eglu and Henrietta emerged from under the house bleeding. Urgent visit to the vet, a gash in the behind and 20 pounds poorer we retourned back home. The hens were so shocked that they stayed for 3 days in their house and I had to feed them inside.

I don't really know what birds of prey you have over there. Certainly nothing much in the UK bothers with a chicken - unless you count the escaped foreigners - eagle owls and the like! I think I remember reading about one in London a year or so ago, keeping the pigeon population under control :shock:

Buzzards tend to be carrion eaters and I don't think Red Kites are a problem. Sparrowhawks, Kestrels, Peregrines etc are all a bit small. I don't know if anyone in Scotland has any tales of Eagles or Ospreys - we have miniscule numbers here in Cumbria and I've never heard of a conflict with poultry?!?

A sparrow hawk regularly visits our garden, in London. Last time the chickens were rather alarmed because it got a blackbird who made a massive fuss. I ran out, the blackbird was released, the sparrow hawk flew off, and we all calmed down again. I'm sure its not big enough to get the chickens though.

One day last Spring I left the house at about 9 am and then realised I'd forgotten my car key so went back in to pick it up. As I entered the kitchen, I heard a sound from our little utility room - and the cat heard it too, so accompanied me to see what it was (there had already been a mouse that morning - ever hopeful!) We were both ASTOUNDED to find a sparrowhawk sitting on the kitchen windowsill! I was stunned, and a little bit scared as I had to reach over it to open the window, and although it was beautiful it glared very fiercely at me with its great golden eye. It flew off safely, and the cat and I had to sit down together for a few minutes to recover from the excitement. :shock:

To this day, I am puzzled and perplexed. "Ooops, word censored!"ody in the family had opened the back door that morning, and the only possible way in for the sparrowhawk would have been through the cat flap. The only explanation I can come up with is that it saw the cat being booted out through the catflap at about 7.30 am with a mouse in its mouth, decided that there were rich pickings in there, and somehow or other came in through the catflap to look for a mouse of its own.

I just wish somebody other than the cat had been there to witness it - I'm sure "Ooops, word censored!"ody believes me! Well, maybe the chickens do, but they're not telling either.

Goodness - I would have jumped out of my skin to see a bird like that so close :shock:

We have woodland all around us & the Red Kites live in some tall trees over the back of our house.

They are wonderful,but are just MASSIVE!

When the chickens free ranged in the summer they used to cirle the garden,getting lower & lower, but never actually swooped....they are carrion feeders anyway :?

We all love watching them,but when the come down low like that,right in front of you,its enought to give you kittens!