AMO

Eggs being eaten by chickens! NOT ANYMORE UPDATE 6/2

Help - I dropped an egg in the run last week and the girls were very quick to eat it all up - including the shell :roll:

After a week of no eggs to collect I found evidence that they are ating them in the nesting box!! Little :twisted: !!

Any ideas on how to stop this please?

AMO NO EGGS x

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the advice.

So far, the girls have eaten two blown eggs - one filled with mustard and the other a balmy mix of mustard and pepper powder :oops: - I think they like them!! AAARRRGHHHH!!

To add insult to injury I am having to buy eggs to blow and fill up for them :twisted: !!

Thanks for the advice.

!

To add insult to injury I am having to buy eggs to blow and fill up for them :twisted: !!

:lol: I'm so sorry but I couldn't help but start laughing when I read your thread, The things these chickens put us through :roll: Fancy having to buy eggs to blow to stop them eating their own :D

Mine eat them now and again if I don't collect them quickly enough.

:lol::lol: I have to laugh at the absurdity of it all too!

The problem is I'm not at home during the day when they are laying or I could whip the eggs out before they get eaten. I'll give another couple of days with the blown eggs then I may try seperating the chooks for a few days at a time to try and see which is the ringleader. My money is on Fifi!!

AMO

x

I left a blown egg in there last night along with 2 pingpong balls and found an intact egg in the box this morning! 8)

Let's hope when I get back tonight I find a few more - those girls have a lot of making up to do! :wink:

Hubby may be able to make some sort of custom rollaway to sit on top of the Egglu nestbox if it continues.

I don't think I could kill my chook just because she eats her eggs!!!

I've been putting plastic and ceramic eggs in the nest box, and so far so good, had all the eggs intact in the last four days... there are ways to sort this problem without resorting to destroying a bird, especially a well loved pet...

Sorry - just caught up with this thread again.

I did have about a week of collecting eggs but they started eating them again! I tried seperating them to see if I could catch the culprit but it looks like all of them are guilty! :twisted:

Today OH has made a rollaway that sits in the Egglu nesting box - I'll let you know tomorrow if it works!! :pray:

Yey - the gadget that OH has made as a rollaway for the Egglu has worked!! :lol:

The girls have been refusing to go in the nesting box since we put the rollaway in - they took to laying on the roosting bars and then eating the eggs :roll:

Lesley has kindly lent me a traditional rollaway which they have been sitting in but not laying :roll:

But, tonight, OH has just checked the Egglu and has found an intact egg under his gadget! It' a big egg too (probably Fifi) so we now know that it will work for all shapes and sizes.

I feel like doing a first egg dance! :dance::dance:

Yey - the gadget that OH has made as a rollaway for the Egglu has worked!! :lol:

The girls have been refusing to go in the nesting box since we put the rollaway in - they took to laying on the roosting bars and then eating the eggs :roll:

Lesley has kindly lent me a traditional rollaway which they have been sitting in but not laying :roll:

But, tonight, OH has just checked the Egglu and has found an intact egg under his gadget! It' a big egg too (probably Fifi) so we now know that it will work for all shapes and sizes.

I feel like doing a first egg dance! :dance::dance:

Get on to the Patents Office quick!