Aunty e

Midnight dash to vets

Poor Cleo got hold of a bone from somewhere (and if I find out where, there will be blood and tears before I'm done) and chewed it up and ate it. She threw most of it back up yesterday, but started vomiting blood just before we went to bed and wheezing and she hadn't eaten all day, so we rushed her to the 24 hour vets in hampstead (in a cab because OH had been drinking). They think she's going to be ok, but I may now need to remortgage the house before I pick her up. It is covered by the pet insurance, but we have to pay it first, and OUCH.

oh poor Cleo (poor you) - I am paranoid about that happening. Presumably it was a cooked bone, because I've always understood that's what causes the problem - raw bones don't splinter so easily, not that I would ever take a chance on that.

I know last time I had to ring a vet at 4.00 am when my cat was fitting, it was £100 to get him out of bed. :shock: Thank goodness you've got her insured.

Hope she is soon on the mend.

Spoke to vet just now and she doesn't have to have an operation :dance:

She's going to stay another night though so they can keep an eye on her. The vet was amazed at the amount of bone she had in her tummy, but it is dissolving slowly from the look of her last x ray, so she should be ok. She's had lots of fluids as well, which should be making her feel better. I normally don't fuss too much about the cats throwing up occasionally, specially cleo as she is quite a nervous nelly and throws up from excitement occasionally, but the blood was terrifying.

If I find who left that bone lying around, they're dead. If it was my lodger, I'm kicking him out. End of. I'd told them all so many times that they couldn't leave bones around in case the cats got them.

Dreading paying the bill though, particularly as we'll have to pay it and then claim the money back :( That's going to be an unpleasant ten days.

Thank goodness she is ok...phew!

I know how you feel about insurance, it really ticks me off :evil: . We've just paid out £350 for bracken the dog to have a tumour removed. Now the whole point of insurance is that the insurance pays not us!! Gawd knows what we would do if she had something big done which cost thousands of pounds as there is no way we could afford that and claim it back!

So I had a phone call this morning saying I could pick her up today and that she's doing much better. Then I thought I would check what the balance was, as we gave them £200 when we took her in. £700. They quoted us £400-£600 in total, so £900 was a little surprising. I said as much to them and asked if they could take direct payment from the insurers. They said no, and I pointed out that they had quoted a substantially lower figure, and I just didn't have the money. In the end they agreed I could pay another £300 and they would claim the rest, but OY! I'll have to explain to Cleo that she can't get sick again until september.

Mystery of the bone cleared up - we have communal bins by our back garden and our lodger spotted her in there while we were away but forgot to tell us. the bones were quite big, so I'm assuming left over from someone's roast dinner. Anyway, now worried about how to make sure this doesn't happen again. Do you think I could leave a note asking people to make sure they don't leave bones in the bins which aren't in plastic bags, or is that asking for trouble? I was hoping that Cleo would now have realised that bones are bad, but I might be crediting her with too much intelligence.

:shock: That's a big bill, I know it was a middle-of the-night thing but ouch!

I noticed you said you had to go to Hampstead, which sounds quite a way from you. There's a 24-hour hospital at Wanstead, which would still be a cab-ride (if you couldn't drive), it's part of the Goddards practice which I used to use when I lived in Walthamstow.

Re the bones - tbh, if people are so thoughtless as to leave rubbish outside the bins/leave the bin lids off, they probably won't pay much attention to a note. Also, if they are in plastic bags she will still smell them and soon make her way through the bag, unless it's enclosed in a bin. Sorry, no easy answers here - maybe you'll need to check the bins regularly and make sure everything is enclosed? I wouldn't bet on her having learned a lesson from this!

£900.00 :shock:

I feel faint. You could have had 2 cubes for that amount!

Wow - good idea Egluntine! After all, Aunty E is getting this back from the insurers ... by that time, she'll have forgotten what it was for in the first place, so she might as well spend it! :wink: