Treekeeper

argument

It mainly depend if you are English or Scottish I can do both so bear with me for a moment :roll:

Scotland

A turnip is large with yellowish flesh and is sometime also called neeps and the outside is Yellow/pink

A swede is small with white flesh and the outside is white/purple

England

Just to be awkward the English like it the other way round :roll:

A turnip is small with white flesh and the outside is white/purple

A swede is large with yellowish flesh with the outside yellow/pink and is only fit for animal feed :evil:

Hope this helps :?

:lol::lol::lol:

How 'bout this? Can't take credit for it - pinched it off a website (obviously too much time on my hands :roll: ). Still not sure it explains it :? .

• Turnips and swedes are both members of the cabbage family and are closely related to each other - so close that it is not surprising that their names are often confused. For instance, swedes are sometimes called Swedish turnips or swede-turnips and in Scotland, where they are thought of as turnips, they are called neeps. Nowadays, the confusion is not so acute. Many greengrocers and supermarkets sell early or baby turnips or, better still, French turnips - navets. Both are small and white, tinged either with green or in the case of navets, with pink or purple. Consequently, people are learning to tell their swedes from their turnips and also discovering what a delicious vegetable the turnip is.

When we first moved down south my mother went into a greengrocers for a turnip for soup making and was most confused to be handed a swede and all the years I was down there they were always the wrong way round :?

Now I am back home everything in the vegetable garden is as it should be :lol:

I love parsnips, swedes are vile.

other way around for me....parsnips are :vom::vom:

Swede :P nothing nicer all mushed up with black pepper and butter! yum :P

No no no, you have it all wrong. :roll: Parsnips and swedes are lovely, turnips are nasty, bitter little things :vom:

:wink:

I love parsnips, swedes are vile.

other way around for me....parsnips are :vom::vom:

Swede :P nothing nicer all mushed up with black pepper and butter! yum :P

No no no, you have it all wrong. :roll: Parsnips and swedes are lovely, turnips are nasty, bitter little things :vom:

:wink:

Parsnips bring back scary memories for me. My mum used to roast them and disguise them in with the roast potaotes....you'd then bite into one thinking it was a spud but it was an orrible sweet parsnip! yuk! :vom:

I can't see the point of turnips, nasty, tasteless

evil little veggies. In the US they are considered only fit for animal

feed and are called rutabaga (spelling?)

Tessa

STOP! I always believed rutabaga was swede (that's the large, yellow variety) not turnip (the small white ones). Now I'm really confused!

Turnips can be bitter - parboil them, and then caramelise them with a bit of butter and sugar - yum. However mashed swede (pref. with a carrot or two thrown in, and black pepper and butter) is the food of angels!

Wow, this thread is a bit of an eye opener, being English I never realised that there was any confusion as to which were swedes and which were turnips. Swedes (as far as I'm concerned) are big and round with an orangey flesh, and absolutely delicious mashed up with loads of butter and a little grating of nutmeg. Turnips are small and white with the purpley bit, and I'm less keen on them, but great in stews and casseroles, and bearable if mashed.

How strange that in Scotland they're the other way round :? .

BTW, parsnips are pretty bloomin' gorgeous, my favourite vegetable, best of all roasted, but fabulous mashed, or cut up thin and quickly fried (like crisps). I love parsnips :drool:

Swedes to me are the orangey fleshed ones that I serve mashed with carrots and butter and a little seasoning - divine :drool:

Turnips are hard bitter white things that are vile :vom: and only bearable in a soup with loads of other veggies.

Parsnips are a fave :D - cut into large wedges, placed in a baking dish with 2 tbsp honey and 15ml of water, basted occasionally and serve :drool:

Also good with Duchess Potatoes YUM! or Dauphinoise Potatoes :drool:

I'm off now, Hungry....:lol:

A

xx